100 Boko Haram fighters killed, 900 hostages freed

source: theguardian.uk

Yaoundé, Cameroon: The Cameroon army on Wednesday stated that they had killed 100 Boko Haram fighters in a three-day operation last week, and even succeeded in freeing 900 hostages.

The far northern region of Cameroon is a major jihadi target since July, and had faced a twin-suicide attack on Tuesday. According to a new toll, at least six people died in the said attack in the town of Waza.

At least six people died in the suicide attacks, according to a new toll. The two bombers were women who took four lives when they detonated their explosives. Two more people later died from the injuries they suffered. A third suicide bomber was shot dead before he could blow up.

The victims were civilian vigilantes, who had been trained to protect Waza.

Defence Minister Joseph Beti Assomo, in a statement on national radio, said, “A special clean-up operation from 26 to 28 November” against Boko Haram in the border area with Nigeria “neutralised more than 100 jihadists.”

The statement added that the troop was able “to release almost 900 hostages, seize large supplies of arms and munitions as well as black-and-white Islamic State flags.” However, the identities of those freed were not released.

It was in March 2015 that the Boko Haram swore allegiance to IS.

The cooperation between the Cameroon security forces, which is a new multinational force set up mainly to fight the forces of the Boko Haram and the Nigerian army, was credited by the minister for the successful raid.

However, the region is not accessible to the media, and so, the statement could not be confirmed independently.

When reached through a phone call, security sources weren’t able to confirm the government-released figures, but they did agree that the raid took place.