By NewsGram Staff Writer
Mumbai: Twelve people were convicted on Friday in the 2006 Mumbai serial blasts case which killed at least 188 commuters and injured over 800 others. One person was acquitted, according to reports, though a detailed order is still awaited. The quantum of punishment in the case will be announced on Monday.
“The long-awaited decision on the July 7, 2006 serial blasts has been given out. Twelve of the 13 accused have been convicted,” Special Public Prosecutor Raja Thakare told the media after the verdict was pronounced.
These included Kamal Ahamed Ansari (37), Tanvir Ahmed Ansari (37), Mohd Faisal Shaikh (36), Ehtesham Siddiqui (30), Mohammad Majid Shafi (32), Shaikh Alam Shaikh (41), Mohd Sajid Ansari (34), Abdul Wahid Shaikh (34), Muzzammil Shaikh (27), Soheil Mehmood Shaikh (43), Zamir Ahmad Shaikh (36), Naveed Hussain Khan (30), Asif Khan (38).
Special Maharashtra Control of Organized Crime Act (MCOCA) judge Yatin D Shinde had concluded the trial on August 19 last year after examining 192 witnesses, including eight IPS and five IAS officers as well as 18 doctors.
He announced the verdict today. “I think this is justice for all the people who died and those who were injured,” said K.P. Raghuvanshi, former ATS chief, who was part of the blasts probe.
Besides claiming 189 lives, the serial blasts left 817 injured on the evening of July 11, 2006, from 6.23 p.m. onwards – the peak hour when the suburban trains are choked with commuters going home.
The seven bombs went off in trains at Matunga Road, Mahim, Bandra, Khar Road, Jogeshwari, Borivali and Mira Road stations spanning Mumbai and Thane districts.
The explosions carried out by around 15-20 kg of RDX, were so powerful that they blew off the double-layered steel roofs and walls of the seven train compartments.
(With inputs from IANS)