Monday December 18, 2017
Home Politics 2016 has star...

2016 has started on a challenging note says Jaitley

0
68

Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Friday said economic volatility manifested in the oil price collapse and the Chinese crisis have become the norm, pointing towards the world starting 2016 on a challenging note.

“The new year 2016 has started for the world as a whole on a very challenging note. I have been repeatedly saying that there was a time and period in the past where challenges and crisis used to emerge occasionally… once in a decade.”

“But with the global economy so critically integrated, volatility is the new rule, it’s the new norm. We have seen in last few days price of oil collapsed. We have seen the currency crisis currently on in china. And obviously, the Global slowdown,” Jaitley said addressing the inaugural session of the Bengal Global Business Summit here.

He also referred to the World Bank’s downgrading global growth rate of 2.9 percent in 2016, on Thursday.

Turning to the national scenario, he said there were still many challenges.

The minister said though the service sector has significantly improved and remained more or less consistent, green shoots were visible in the manufacturing sector, which after some period of a slowdown is now picking up.

However, Jaitley said the continuous lack of monsoon resulted in decreased agricultural growth rate.

“But we have had two continuous less than normal monsoons, which pulled down the agricultural growth rate, which in fact impacted purchasing power in the rural area,” he added.(IANS)

Next Story

Court Asked Arvind Kejriwal if He Lied about Calling Arun Jaitley, a Crook

The court asked Kejriwal to abstain from "scandalous" and "indecent language"

0
38
Arvind Kejriwal
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. Wikimedia
  • Arvind Kejriwal was asked to clarify if he lied about calling Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley a crook
  • The Chief Minister is now supposed to offer his defense to the Delhi High Court
  • Jethmalani says that the Chief Minister owes him two crores for his appearances

New Delhi, Aug 23, 2017:  Aam Admi Party Chief Arvind Kejriwal was asked to clarify if he lied in court by pretending that he did not ask for abusive language to be used against Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, mentioned NDTV report.

Previously, Kejriwal stated in the court that he had not instructed his former counsel Ram Jethmalani to use  “crook” to describe the union minister in court. But Jethmalani claims that the Chief Minister used harshly insulting words to attack Jaitley.

Jethmalani declared that according to Jaitley, Kejriwal had misled the court by denying the allegations. In fact, he says Jethmalani has written to him to insist that was the case.
The Chief Minister is now supposed to offer his defense to the Delhi High Court.

In 2015, Jaitley sued Kejriwal and five top leaders of his Aam Aadmi Party for defamation after they accused him of corruption during his 13-year tenure as the top boss of the DDCA, the powerful cricket association that handles Delhi and its surrounding areas.  In two separate cases – criminal and civil – Jaitley has sought damages of 10 crores.

Also Read: Ram Jethmalani Exposes Arvind Kejriwal. Says, Kejriwal was Fixated on calling Jaitley Crooked 

During court the proceedings last month, Jaitley complained to Jethmalani’s language and said ‘Kejriwal’s team is delaying hearings in the Delhi High Court.’

The court asked Kejriwal to abstain from “scandalous” and “indecent language.”

After the Chief Minister said that he had not approved the abusive words, the lawyer riposted in a blog: “Ask your conscience how many times you used worse abuses than a mere ‘crook.’ You have hundred times asked me to teach this crook a lesson.”

Jethmalani says that the Chief Minister owes him two crores for his appearances. It seems that, in his new enmity with Kejriwal, he has become an indirect ally of Jaitley.


NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt. 

Next Story

Indian Army vows to take Revenge on Mutilation of 2 Soldiers by Pakistan

0
121
Indian Army (representative image), Wikimedia

Jammu, May 3, 2017: Last week on Monday at 8:30 am, two Indian soldiers along with their captain were killed after Pakistani terrorists attacked an army camp in Kupwara.

The soldiers who were killed, trapped and ambushed were Naib Subedar Paramjeet Singh, an army soldier, and Prem Sagar, a Border Security Force constable. Indian army’s Northern command reported that Pakistan used rockets and mortar bombs on 2 posts along Line of Control where these soldiers were patrolling.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

“Pakistan fired unprovoked on two army posts in the Krishna Ghati sector in Poonch along the Line of Control,” said the army. Following Pakistan firing that killed 2 soldiers, India retaliated with heavy mortar firing immediately.

Pakistan mutilated 2 Indian soldiers along the Line of Control when they were patrolling.(Twitter)

Calling India’s allegation as “false”, Pakistan has denied violating ceasefire and disrespecting Indian army. After India vowed revenge for the mutilation of its two soldiers killed in firing along the LOC and promised to respond strongly as well as firmly.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

According to NDTV report, Indian Union Minister Arun Jaitley has described the mutilation as “reprehensible and inhuman” calling them to be unfit even during wars. He further continued, “the incident is set to worsen ties between the two countries, which have been deeply strained after repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan, the terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir and the death sentence handed to Indian man Kulbhushan Jadhav, who was arrested in Pakistan last year.”

It is to be noted that last year in September, Indian soldiers have crossed the Line of Control late at night to attack staging areas for terrorists in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir and returned home safely before dawn under the banner of “Surgical strike”. This action came 10 days after “Uri Pakistani attacks” which left 19 military personnel dead.

– prepared by Himanshi Goyal of Newsgram, Twitter: @himanshi1104

 

 

 

Next Story

Attractive rehab package awaits Keralites returning home: CM Pinarayi Vijayan

The Keralite diaspora is estimated to be three million strong, and a major chunk of them is located in the Middle East

0
86
CM Pinarayi Vijayan. Image Source: PTI
  • The Keralite diaspora is estimated to be three million strong, and a major chunk of them is located in the Middle East
  • The existing welfare scheme for the returnees is not attractive enough as is borne out by low take-up
  • Presenting the state budget on July 8, Finance Minister Thomas Issac increased the welfare fund for the needy returnees from just Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 crore

Thiruvananthapuram, Jul 14: The Kerala government will offer a more attractive rehabilitation package to those who had to return from the Middle East because of economic downturn or other reasons, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said on Thursday, July 14.

Vijayan told the assembly that Keralites settled in the Middle East have not only been facing economic downturn due to falling oil prices but also governmental regulations requiring employers to reserve jobs for the locals.

Fall in oil prices. Image Source: venturesafrica.com
Fall in oil prices. Image Source: venturesafrica.com

“On both these issues, it’s our diaspora which will bear the brunt as there is a likelihood of our people returning back,” Vijayan said in response to a calling attention motion moved by CPI-M legislator K.V. Abdul Khadar.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter: @newsgram1

“To tackle this, the state government will chalk out special rehabilitation schemes and welfare packages. Already there are programmes, but it appears they have not yielded the desired results,” said Vijayan.

The Keralite diaspora is estimated to be three million strong, and a major chunk of them is located in the Middle East.

Thousands of Indians working in these countries have been returning home on account of the downturn caused by steep fall in oil prices as also regulations that aim at increasing the proportion of locals in employment vis-à-vis migrants.

Vijayan said the existing welfare scheme for the returnees is not attractive enough as is borne out by low take-up — only 1.40 lakh people have taken advantage of it.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook: NewsGram.com

“We will work in tandem with the various diaspora organisations to see that the scheme is revised. We will also work with financial institutions to work out suitable schemes for the returnees to set up self-employment schemes and also avenues for employing them,” he said.

The Chief Minister said “path-breaking land reforms” and the “contribution of our diaspora” are two biggest achievements of the state and now the government will do its best to tackle the issues facing Keralites living abroad and those returning.

Dr. Thomas Issac. Image Source: twitter
Dr. Thomas Issac. Image Source: twitter

Presenting the state budget on July 8, Finance Minister Thomas Issac increased the welfare fund for the needy returnees from just Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 crore.

Issac also doubled the fund for the scheme for lending money to the returnees from Rs 12 crore to Rs 24 crore. (IANS)

ALSO READ: