Friday January 19, 2018
Home Uncategorized Afghan peace ...

Afghan peace talks: Four nations to draw road map on January 16

0
//
85
AK-47
Republish
Reprint

Islamabad: The first round of quadrilateral meeting of Pakistan, Afghanistan, US, and China will take place on January 16 to work out a clear and comprehensive road map for a meaningful Afghan peace process, Pakistani Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said on Thursday.

The efforts to facilitate the Afghan reconciliation were started on the occasion of the “Heart of Asia” Conference in Islamabad on December 9.

Diplomatic efforts will get momentum with the meeting to revive the dialogue process between the Afghan government and the Taliban.

Pakistan earlier brokered the first ever face-to-face talks in early July and the second round was cancelled after the death of the Taliban leader Mullah Omar was revealed in late July.

All stakeholders are now making efforts to end the deadlock in the process that was necessary to stop the Taliban’s Spring Offensive. The Taliban had launched the annual offensive in late March or early April.

Asif told the senate the quadrilateral meeting will clearly demarcate responsibilities of each stakeholder at all stages.

Talking about the Army Chief General Raheel Sharif’s recent visit to Kabul, he said the army chief carried a message to Kabul that the peace process would necessarily be Afghan-led and Afghan-owned.

“It was agreed that they will pursue peace and reconciliation with Taliban groups willing to join the process,” the minister informed the upper house of the parliament.

Elements that would still continue to pursue violence will be dealt, under a mutually worked out framework, he declared.

All eyes are now on the four-nation meeting that was seen very significant to explore ways for the revival of the dialogue process. (IANS)

(Photo: Wikipedia)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

On New Year, President Trump threatens to stop Aid to Pakistan

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid.

0
//
38
Donald Trump blasts Pakistan. Pixabay
Donald Trump points out the $33 billion aid that Pakistan had already got in the past. Pixabay
  • Donald Trump threatens to stop all USA’s aid to Pakistan on this  New Year.
  • Trump alleged that Pakistan misuses the funds and shelter terrorists.
  • Not only Trump, but Pakistan has been accused of the same by India and Afghanistan too.

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid as it was giving “safe haven to terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan”.

“The US has foolishly given Pakistan more than $33 billion in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies and deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools,” Trump tweeted in his strongest denunciation of Islamabad.

“They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!” he added.

There was no immediate official reaction in Islamabad.

terrorist
U.S. President, Donald Trump accused Pakistan of providing a safe heaven to terrorists. . Wikimedia

Trump’s announcement follows an increasingly tense back-and-forth between Washington and Islamabad after the US President unveiled his administration’s National Security Strategy.

He had then reminded Pakistan about its obligation towards helping the US because it got “massive payments” from Washington every year.

“We have made it clear to Pakistan that while we desire continued partnership, we must see decisive action against terrorist groups operating on their territory,” Trump had said. “They have to help.”

Pakistan is also accused by Afghanistan and India of harbouring terrorists ranged against the two countries. Islamabad routinely denies such charges. IANS

Next Story