Monday May 21, 2018
Home India After 22 year...

After 22 years, a Delhi shuttler at badminton World Championships

0
//
131
Source: Google images
Republish
Reprint
Source: Google images
Source: Google images

New Delhi: After 22 years, a Delhi shuttler will take part in the World Badminton Championships – to be held this year in Jakarta from August 10 to 16.

Mohita Sahdev will become the first Delhi shuttler to take part in the annual event after Ajay Kanwar participated in men’s doubles with Vijaydeep Singh at the 1993 Worlds in Birmingham.

Though there have been other shuttlers who were residents of the national capital or were born here, they did not play for Delhi at the national level, representing Railways or Petroleum boards, among others.

“The first time I became a state champion at the Under-13 level, I had a dream of playing for India at the World Championships. It has taken almost 14-15 years to realise the dream and I do not have words to express my feelings,” the 27-year-old Mohita told IANS.

Mohita, who trains at the Surjit Singh Badminton Academy here, will be partnering friend Dhanya Nair in the Indonesian capital. They will take on the French pair of Delphine Lansac and Emilie Lefel in the first round of women’s doubles on Tuesday.

“I had been trying for many years to qualify for the World Championships and it has finally come true,” said Mohita, whose husband Tanvir Gill is also a national-level badminton player.

“I have been playing with Dhanya for almost two-and-half years… Our efforts have finally borne fruit… We need to play more international tournaments for exposure and to gain ranking points.”

Mohita and Dhanya are ranked No.94 in the world while their upcoming French opponents are No.39 — but that doesn’t deter the Delhi girl.

“Though they are ranked above us, doubles is a different ball game… We have a good chance of winning. We believe in ourselves and we will give it our best shot,” said Mohita.

Mohita, whose career best ranking is No.78, is also now hoping to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympics. “We qualified for the Worlds… who knows, may be we can qualify for the Olympics too.”

Apart from Mohita and Dhanya, two more Indian pairs — Jwala Gutta/Ashwini Ponnappa and Pradnya Gadre/N. Sikki Reddy — will take part in women’s doubles at the Worlds.

(IANS)

 

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Kejriwal exposed as a liar: BJP leader

He also accused Kejriwal of hatching a conspiracy to mislead people by playing the emotional card of apology

0
//
28
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, VOA
  • Arvind Kejriwal apologised to Bikram Singh Majithia
  • BJP leader says that this apology established himself
  • BJP also alleged that Kejriwal did nothing while state aced so many problems

A day after Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal apologised to former Punjab Minister Bikram Singh Majithia for alleging that he was involved in the drug trade, the BJP Delhi unit on Friday said he has exposed himself as a “liar”.

The BJP also alleged that he was doing nothing even while the people of the national capital were facing a number of issues due to sealing.

Arvind Kejriwal apologized to Bikram Singh Majithia. IANS

Addressing a press conference here, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Delhi unit President Manoj Tiwari said: ” What we have been saying for long has been proved today. He is a liar. He has apologised to Majithia for making false allegations against him.”

“He is on his way to apologise to (Union Finance Minister) Arun Jaitley ji and (Union Transport Minister) Nitin Gadkari ji for making false allegations,” the BJP leader said. Kejriwal is facing defamation cases in court for levelling allegations against Jaitley and Gadkari.

Also Read: BJP Protests Outside Sisodia’s Residence, Demands Kejriwal’s Resignation

The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief on Thursday apologised to the Shiromani Akali Dal leader in Punjab for making allegations of involvement in the drug trade, following which the latter said that he will withdraw a defamation suit filed in an Amristar court.

Tiwari, who represents the northeast Delhi constituency in the Lok Sabha, accused Kejriwal of misleading the people over the ongoing sealing drive in the national capital.

BJP MLA Vijender Gupta accused the AAP chief of only rendering “lip service” on the sealing drive and urged the Chief Minister to hold an all-party meeting with the Supreme Court-appointed Monitoring committee overseeing the drive.

“Since December last, Kejriwal is only doing lip service on the issue of sealing drive. He has done nothing to stop it,” Gupta, the Leader of Opposition in the Delhi Assembly, said.

He said that though Lt Governor Anil Baijal cleared the file for notifying 351 roads in the capital on February 8, the matter is still pending. “Why hasn’t he (Kejriwal) notified the 351 roads in the last 45 days?” Gupta asked.

BJP leaders are calling this apology a gimmick.

He also accused Kejriwal of hatching a conspiracy to mislead people by playing the emotional card of apology. Gupta warned the Monitoring Committee members not to act outside the law and said: “If the monitoring committee acts against law, then the BJP will oppose it.”

“We are going to inform the three municipal corporations of Delhi not to follow the commands of the Monitoring Committee if it goes against the law,” he said. “The MCDs should approach the court and also make Kejriwal a party,” the BJP leader added. IANS

Next Story