New Delhi: Jailed gangster Neeraj Bawana, former Delhi legislator Rambeer Shokeen, and eight others were slapped with the chargesheet by Delhi Police under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) for allegedly running an organised crime syndicate.
Additional Sessions Judge Neena Bansal Krishna received the chargesheet and posted the matter for further hearing on September 24.
Filed by the special cell of Delhi Police, the charge-sheet named Bawana, Shokeen and eight others as accused.
Shokeen, who is on the run, was declared proclaimed offender by the court last week.
Bawana was arrested on April 7 from west Delhi’s Mundka area and is in judicial custody with eight other accused.
The other eight accused are — Pankaj Sehrawat, Sunil Rathi, Rahul Dabas, Naveen Dabas alias Bali, Naveen Hooda alias Bhanja, Amit Malik alias Bhura, Gurpreet Singh, and Deepak Dabas alias Deepa.
The chargesheet said all the accused were running a crime syndicate which was extorting money, committing murders, land grabbing, and settling property disputes—all with the aim of pecuniary benefits.
It was also established that the members of the crime syndicate regularly travelled long distances by road to various parts of India, stayed in good hotels and enjoyed a lavish lifestyle.
The chargesheet stated that the expenses for purchasing arms and ammunition, travelling, mobile phones, internet connections, hotel stay and other daily expenditure were incurred from the extortion money collected from businessmen.
New Delhi, October 24, 2017: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is all set to charge sheet the controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik for his alleged involvement in money laundering and terror funding activities in India.
As per officials, all formalities to file the charge sheet against Naik have been completed and will be duly submitted before a special court within this week.
The evangelical preacher with an active television presence first came under the lens of security forces following confessions by some terrorists in Bangladesh allegedly involved in the attacks on a café in Dhaka in last July. The perpetrators had claimed that they were reportedly inspired by Naik’s hate speeches.
Following the allegations, the Islamic –preacher had fled from India on July 1, 2016, and continues to live outside the country.
Consequently, on November 18, 2016, the NIA had registered a case in its Mumbai branch against Zakir Naik under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Previously, Islamic Research Foundation (IRF), Zakir Naik’s NGO based in Mumbai has also been declared an unlawful organization as per the directives of the Union Home Ministry.
It was alleged that Zakir Naik and his connections were allegedly indulging in ‘unlawful activities’ that were proving to be hazardous for the country and its youth.
In an official statement in April this year, the Enforcement Directorate had said that Zakir Naik “through his provocative utterance (is) promoting enmity and hatred between different religious groups in India.”
The statement had also said that “His inflammatory speeches and lectures have inspired and incited a number of Muslim youths in India to commit unlawful activities and terrorist acts.”
All these charges were repeatedly denied by Naik.
Additionally, the Ministry of External Affairs also revoked Zakir Naik’s passport on behest of the NIA earlier this year.
The NIA had also thrice issued notices to Zakir Naik to cooperate and join the investigations. However, he did not comply and did not appear before it.
Zakir Naik’s NGO has been alleged to hold ‘dubious’ links to an international Islamic TV channel ‘Peace TV’ accused of propagating terrorism. Naik was also alleged to have to transferred IRF’s international funding to the TV channel to make ‘objectionable’ programmes.
As per the Home Ministry, Zakir Naik has made multiple hate speeches that provoke people to engage in terrorist propaganda. It has been previously revealed that a handful of Indian youth allegedly inspired by Naik, have left their homes to join Islamic State forces.
Zakir Naik’s speeches are banned in US, Malaysia, and Canada.
The televangelist, who had fled the country in July last year after his name had surfaced during a probe into the Bangladesh terror attacks, continues to live in Saudi Arabia and is now being probed by the NIA under charges of money laundering and terror funding.
Islamabad, October 19: Former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has been indicted on corruption charges stemming from information taken from the so-called “Panama Papers.”
The country’s anti-corruption court indicted the 67-year-old Sharif during a hearing Thursday in Islamabad. His daughter Maryam and son-in-law Mohammed Safdar were also indicted. Maryam Sharif and Mohammed Safdar appeared in court and pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A lawyer for the elder Sharif, who is in London with his wife as she undergoes cancer treatment, entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Maryam Sharif angrily dismissed the allegations as “baseless.”
Sharif was disqualified by Pakistan’s Supreme Court and removed from office in July after leaked documents last year from a Panama-based law firm revealed the family held a number of unreported overseas assets.(VOA)
Valletta, October 17, 2017 : A journalist who led the Panama Papers probe into corruption in Malta was killed on Monday in a car bomb near her residence, the media reported.
Daphne Caruana Galizia died on Monday when her car, a Peugeot 108, was destroyed by a powerful explosive device, reports the Guardian.
A blogger whose posts often attracted more readers than the combined circulation of the country’s newspapers, Caruana Galizia was recently described by the American news outlet Politico as a “one-woman WikiLeaks”.
Her latest revelations accused Malta’s Prime Minister Joseph Muscat and two of his closest aides, connecting offshore companies linked to the three men with the sale of Maltese passports and payments from the government of Azerbaijan.
No group or individual claimed responsibility for the attack, the Guardian reported.
Malta’s President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca, called for calm. “In these moments, when the country is shocked by such a vicious attack, I call on everyone to measure their words, to not pass judgement and to show solidarity.”
In a statement, Muscat condemned the “barbaric attack”.
“Everyone knows Caruana Galizia was a harsh critic of mine,” said Muscat, adding “Both politically and personally, but nobody can justify this barbaric act in any way.”
He announced in parliament later on Monday that Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officers were on their way to Malta to assist with the investigation, following his request for help from the US government.
According to local media reports, Caruana Galizia filed a police report 15 days ago to say that she had been receiving death threats.
The journalist posted her final blog on her Running Commentary website at 2.35 p.m. on Monday, and the explosion, which occurred near her home, was reported to police just after 3 p.m.
Over the last two years, her reporting had largely focused on revelations from the Panama Papers, a cache of 11.5 million documents leaked from the internal database of the world’s fourth largest offshore law firm, Mossack Fonseca. (IANS)