Saturday April 21, 2018
Home World US marine att...

US marine attacks: 4 marines killed, gunman shot dead

0
//
38
Republish
Reprint

113406-us-politics-shooting

By NewsGram Staff Writer

In another grim reminder of the rising terror attacks in USA, a gunman opened fired on two military facilities at Chattanooga, Tennesse.

Four marines were killed in the attack, the US Navy said. The gunman identified as Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, 24, was also shot dead.

“The gunman had numerous weapons and among those ‘brutally and brazenly attacked’ were members of the armed services,” Police chief Fred Fletcher said.

Officials at the news conference said that the shooting began at about 10:45 a.m. at one recruiting center on Lee Highway-inn and ended about 30 minutes later at the facility on Amnicola Highway, where all of the deaths occurred.

Photographs of the Amnicola facility showed the windows riddled with bullet holes.

“The federal investigators would take the lead on the case and the investigation would determine how the crime should be labeled,” said United States attorney Bill Killian.

Chattanooga, one of Tennesse’s largest cities, was unnerved by the attack as the Chattanooga State Community College posted an alert on its website that urged people on its main campus to remain inside and to close doors. Lee University, another university near Chattanooga, ordered a temporary lock down.

The mayor of Chattanooga, Andy Berke, later said a number of others had been wounded in the episode, including at least one police officer.

In the nearby suburb of Cleveland, Bradley Square Mall also said it had initiated a lock down, but the mall’s management said that local media reports of gunfire were inaccurate.

“There have been no shots fired at Bradley Square Mall and the lockdown was ‘a safety precaution’,” the mall’s Facebook page said.

In the meanwhile, the White House said that the president had been briefed by his national security staff on the Chattanooga shooting, and would continue to get updates as warranted.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

White House Denies Any Direct Talks Yet Between Trump And Kim

No direct talks yet between Trump, Kim: White House

0
//
17
Donald Trump is the President of U.S.
FILE IMAGE- Donald Trump

The White House has denied any direct talks yet between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, though Washington has spoken to Pyongyang “at the highest levels”.

The White House statement on Tuesday came minutes after Trump seemingly hinted that he has already spoken with Kim, Xinhua news agency reported.

When asked by reporters if he had spoken directly with Kim, Trump had said “yes”.

In the statement, issued after the confusing incident, the White House said, “In regards to talks with leader Kim Jong-un, the President said the administration has had talks at the highest levels” and added that they were not with him directly.

On Tuesday afternoon, Trump himself also said that Washington and Pyongyang have already started direct talks at “very high levels,” without specifying how “high” the level was.

Kim Jong-un And Donald Trump
Kim Jong-un And Donald Trump

“We have had direct talks at very high levels, extremely high levels with North Korea,” Trump said. He might have hinted at CIA Director Mike Pompeo’s reportedly top-secret visit to North Korea over Easter weekend as his envoy.

The trip made by Pompeo was an effort to lay the groundwork for direct talks between the leaders of the two countries. No official confirmation of Pompeo’s visit has come yet.

Trump was expected to meet Kim in May or early June. The venue of the meeting was still to be decided. Trump said that five sites were being weighed and none of them were located in the US.

Also Read: China And Russia Accused of Manipulating Their Currencies By Trump

Tension on the Korean Peninsula has thawed over the last few months. The South and North have agreed to hold an inter-Korean summit on April 27, the first meeting between the leaders of the two sides in 11 years.

“They do have my blessing to discuss the end of the war,” said Trump on Tuesday, referring to the summit.

The 1950-1953 Korean war ended in an armistice. The Korean Peninsula remains technically in a state of war.  IANS

Next Story