Sunday May 27, 2018
Home World China blast t...

China blast toll 114, 70 still missing

0
//
43
Republish
Reprint

Beijing: The toll in the deadly warehouse explosion in China’s Tianjin blasts has escalated to 114 with 70 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Monday.

A total of 54 bodies have been identified.

China Port Blast_12
Image Source: www.newindianexpress.com

Minute traces of cyanide have been detected in water samples collected near the Tianjin port, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) said.

The density of the dangerous chemical was below the normal limit, and will not pose a threat to the marine environment for the time being, Xinhua news agency reported.

Thirteen monitoring sites have been set up in the waters off Tianjin port and a total of 194 samples were collected.

The SOA said it would continue monitoring and release the related information in a timely manner.

Officials with Tianjin bureau of environmental protection said that the roughly 700 tonnes of sodium cyanide that had been stored at the site “remained mostly unaffected”.

Two massive explosions, which occurred in the port city in northern China just before midnight on August 12, have destroyed a large area.

Sodium cyanide at the periphery of the blasts area will be mostly collected and cleared by Monday evening, He Shushan, vice mayor of Tianjin said.

Meanwhile, the industry and information technology ministry ordered local regulators to conduct thorough safety checks on entities that deal with commercial explosives, with a focus on storage and safety regulations.

Any company found to have not corrected any irregularities will be ordered to halt production.

In addition, the ministry said it will “in principle” cease issuing new construction permits for industrial explosives factories.

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Dating Apps Face Restrictions in China After Their Growing Success

A mobile application, which allows wealthy older people to connect with young lovers, is facing restrictions in China after a surge in popularity in the country, state media reported on Friday.

0
//
27
The study by global cyber security company Kaspersky Lab showed that many dating apps do not handle users’ sensitive data with sufficient care. (Source: File Photo)

A mobile application, which allows wealthy older people to connect with young lovers, is facing restrictions in China after a surge in popularity in the country, state media reported on Friday.

SeekingArrangement, which was the most downloaded app on Apple Store China this week and also registered high numbers on Android, has been banned from WeChat — a popular Chinese messaging service similar to WhatsApp — Efe news reported citing the official newspaper China Daily.

The move came after the state-run Global Times — linked to the Communist Party of China — urged the government to shut down the app’s operations in the country for promoting “sugar dating”, a practice in which wealthy older suitors are matched with younger people in exchange for economic benefits or gifts.

The company would also provide day-one support for Windows Server 2019 to deliver virtualised apps with XenApp.
Citrix Workspace will unify apps, pixabay

Lawyers cited by official media warned that the services offered by such websites could be classified as prostitution, which is illegal in China.

How safe are online dating apps?

The app was founded in 2006 by entrepreneur Brandon Wade, who has defended it by saying “love is a concept invented by poor people”, and has its Chinese headquarters in the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, which has fewer legal restrictions than the rest of the country.

Male members pay a monthly fee of $60, while females use the app for free or pay $15 to access more functions and are required to list their annual income, which should be higher than $47,000 to use the services. (IANS)

Next Story