Wednesday December 13, 2017
Home India National Hera...

National Herald Case: Congress supporters directed not to come to Delhi on December 19

0
55

New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday said its leaders and supporters have been directed not to throng Delhi on December 19 when party president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi are scheduled to appear in a trial court here in the National Herald case.

Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad made a clear statement to reporters today about the instructions given to party leaders and supporters.

The Congress has made it clear to everybody that they should not come to Delhi on December 19 (Saturday).

Azad’s remarks came amid speculation that the party may put up a show of strength on Saturday to express solidarity with its two top leaders.

Azad, leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha, indicated that the party will avail of all legal options, including bail, in the National Herald case.

The Congress president and vice president have full faith in the judiciary and full faith in the law of the land. Whatever we shall have to do as per the law, we will do, he added.

There were reports that the two Congress leaders may not seek bail if asked by the court.

The party, however, asked its members of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha to stay put in the national capital during the weekend.

Asked about the issue, Azad said such instructions were given as the party wanted its parliamentarians to be present in full strength during the last few days of the winter session that ends on December 23.

The Congress leader said as parliament did not function normally and as the session was slated to end next week, some MPs could possibly decide to stay in their respective constituencies.

Party sources said many leaders from various states were expected to arrive in Delhi on their own on Saturday and converge at the party’s central office at 24, Akbar Road.

Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi will appear in the trial court here on December 19 in connection with BJP leader Subramanian Swamy’s complaint in the National Herald case.

The Delhi High Court this month dismissed a plea of the Gandhis to quash the summons issued to them for a personal appearance by a trial court in the case.

The trial court later asked them to appear before it on December 19.

On June 26 last year, the trial court issued summons to the Congress leaders on Swamy’s complaint about “cheating” in the acquisition of Associated Journals Ltd., which published the National Herald newspaper, by Young India Ltd., “a firm in which Sonia and Rahul Gandhi each own a 38 percent stake”.

The Congress said no illegality was committed by the party leaders in the case. The party alleged political vendetta on the part of the Centre and claimed that Swamy had been given the specific task of targeting the Congress. (IANS) (Picture Courtesy:www.cii.in)

 

Next Story

Swamy’s plea to summon documents in National Herald case accepted

0
116
Subramanian Swamy

New Delhi: BJP leader Subramanian Swamy’s appeal for summoning the documents from the Ministries of Finance, Urban Development and Corporate Affairs, Income Tax Department and other agencies regarding the National Herald case was accepted by the Delhi court today.

Swamy was asked by the Metropolitan Magistrate to file the processing fee for sending the notification to the following departments including Delhi Development Authority and the Registrar of Companies.

In order to advance the order’s in this case, he needed these documents which are under these ministries, Swamy told the court during the hearing.

“The documents are under the ministries and they can be summoned”, he added.

The judge asked Swamy to file the process fee (PF) and then the application will be allowed.

On December 19, 2015, the court granted bail to Congress President Sonia Gandhi, his son Rahul Gandhi, former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Motilal Vora, Congress leader Oscar Fernandes, and Suman Dubey.

The case was lodged by Swamy based on a private criminal complaint. It was filed against them of deception, cheating and criminal breach of trust.

As per the court’s order, he gave the copies and the annexures of the complaint to the accused who are refusing to accept the same, Swamy told the court.

“They did not accept the documents and instead said that it was incomplete. I do not know what is incomplete. We have acted in accordance to the court’s order and we are ready to provide the incomplete documents if they will tell me what is incomplete,” he added.

“You send it to their offices through a post,” replied court.

The documents sought by him pertains to Associated Journal Ltd.

The five accused, Suman Dubey, Moti lal Vora, Oscar Fernandez, Sam Pitroda and Young India Ltd, challenged the summons issued on Swamy’s complaint.

(Inputs from agencies) (Picture Courtesy:janpratinidhi.com)

Next Story

Gandhis granted bail in National Herald case

0
39

New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi were granted bail in National Herald case today here in a Delhi court.

The bail was granted on a personal bond of 50000 each. Sonia’s bail was taken by AK Antony and Rahul’s bail was taken by Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.

Next date of hearing is set on 20th February. Subramaniam Swamy’s request of putting conditions like keeping the passports was rejected.

Swamy said that in the end Gandhis had to take the bail and their bravado went missing. Kapil Sibbal said that bail was granted without any condition.

Previously a Delhi court on 8 December had asked Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi, vice President Rahul Gandhi and others to appear on December 19 in connection with a complaint filed by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy in the National Herald newspaper case.

Metropolitan Magistrate Lovleen also granted them exemption from personal appearance on Tuesday.

Speaking on the issue, Rahul Gandhi said, “I absolutely see a political vendetta. This is the way Central govt functions. I am going to keep asking exactly the questions that I have been asking. I am going to put pressure on the govt and I am going to continue to do my job.” 

The Delhi High Court on Monday dismissed the plea of the Gandhis to quash the summons issued to them by a trial court on Swamy’s complaint regarding the acquisition of National Herald and asked them to appear before a trial court on Tuesday.

Justice Sunil Gaur dismissed their pleas which mean they will have to appear before the trial court in the case.

Apart from the Gandhis, the court also dismissed the pleas of Congress treasurer Motilal Vora, family friend Suman Dubey and party leader Oscar Fernandes who had moved the high court for quashing of summons to them by a trial court.

On June 26, the trial court issued summons to the Congress leaders on Swamy’s complaint about “cheating” in the acquisition of Associated Journals Ltd (AJL) by Young India Ltd (YIL) – “a firm in which Sonia and Rahul Gandhi each owns a 38 percent stake”.

Earlier in March, this year, Congress president Sonia Gandhi told the Delhi High Court that there was no “illegality” in the acquisition of AJL by YIL as per the Companies Act.

Next Story

National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul may seek bail if needed

0
47

New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vice-President Rahul Gandhi may seek bail in a trial court here on Saturday in the National Herald case if the need arises, party sources said on Friday.

The two leaders were also keen that party leaders and supporters from other states did not throng the capital on Saturday, the sources added.

Party sources said suggestions on senior state party leaders trooping into Delhi to coincide with the court appearance of the two were turned down by the top brass as it would have led to public inconvenience and traffic snarls and given an opportunity for political rivals to hit out at the party.

There was apprehension that a large gathering could be dubbed by Congress rivals as an effort to influence the judiciary, party sources observed.

However, the Congress has directed its MPs in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha to stay put in the national capital during the weekend.

Party leaders sought to delink instructions to MPs to stay back from the National Herald case.

There were reports earlier that all Congress chief ministers and leaders of legislative parties in the states will come to Delhi on Saturday. There were also reports that Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi may not seek bail though party leaders gave firm indications that bail will be sought.

Party leader Randeep Singh Surjewala said all legal options were open to the party, including applying for bail. Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad too spoke in a similar vein on Thursday.

The Congress president and vice president have full faith in the judiciary and full faith in the law of the land. Whatever we shall have to do as per the law, we will do.

Congress sources, however, said party leaders may converge at the party’s central office at 24, Akbar Road, on their own to express solidarity with two top party leaders.

Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi will appear in the trial court here on December 19 in connection with BJP leader Subramanian Swamy’s complaint in the National Herald case.

The Delhi High Court this month dismissed a plea of the Gandhis to quash the summons issued to them for a personal appearance by a trial court in the case.

The trial court later asked them to appear before it on December 19.

On June 26 last year, the trial court issued summons to the Congress leaders on Swamy’s complaint about “cheating” in the acquisition of Associated Journals Ltd., which published the National Herald newspaper, by Young India Ltd., “a firm in which Sonia and Rahul Gandhi each owns a 38 percent stake“. (IANS) (Picture Courtesy:odishasuntimes.com)