Kuala Lumpur: Verification has confirmed that the debris found on Reunion Island belongs to the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced here on Thursday.
“Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is in indeed from MH370,” the prime minister was quoted as saying by Chinese media.
“We now have physical evidence that, as I announced on March 24 last year, flight MH370 tragically ended in the southern Indian Ocean,” Razak said.
The plane carrying 239 people veered off course while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014.
From a hijacking to an alien abduction, countless theories have arisen about the fate of the Malaysian airliner that disappeared nearly two years ago. With search crews just months away from finishing their thus-far fruitless sweep of a remote stretch of seabed where Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 is believed to have crashed, officials appear no closer…
Canberra: Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop on Friday said that the wreckage from missing Malaysia Airlines flight 370 will be found in Australia’s search zone in the southern Indian Ocean.
Bishop said this week’s news of debris washing up on Reunion Island off the east coast of Africa pointed to the wreckage being somewhere within the 120,000 square kilometer search area off the west coast of Australia, Xinhua reported.
“We at least seem to have some evidence that flight MH370 will be found, particularly in the search area that (Australia) has been focusing on,” she said.
Bishop said Australia has an important role in finding the jet, not only to provide closure to the families of those missing, but also to reinstate faith in civil aviation to those who travel frequently.
“We believe it is important for international civil aviation, generally, for us to determine what happened to this flight, as well as provide the opportunity for families of those on-board to have some closure,” she said.
MH370 went missing on March 8 last year with 239 people on-board, most of them Chinese nationals.
Bishop said Australia had pledged another $40 million US to the search, but calculating who was contributing what to the hunt was not the pertinent issue.
“This is one of the great aviation mysteries of our time, and for the purpose of safety, security, faith, and trust in the civil aviation system, we must do what we can to find MH370,” she told.
Melbourne: Australian experts have traveled to France to help examine the recently found aircraft wreckage and determine if it belongs to the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, an official said on Wednesday.
The expert from Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) will join the French and Malaysian-led investigation team on Wednesday in Toulouse, France, to work on this issue together, a Chinese news agency quoted Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss as saying.
The aircraft wreckage was found last Wednesday on Reunion island in the Indian Ocean.
The debris is about 2-2.5 meters long, and will be checked by experts at the military-run General Directorate of Armaments in Toulouse suburbs.
Malaysian authorities, who are responsible for investigating the disappearance of MH-370, have confirmed the wreckage retrieved is a flaperon from a Boeing 777 aircraft.
Based on the drift modelling commissioned by the ATSB, material from the current search area could have been carried to La Reunion, as well as other locations, as part of a progressive dispersal of floating debris through the action of ocean currents and wind, said Truss.
“Thorough and methodical search efforts will continue to be focused on the defined underwater search area, covering 120,000 sq km, in the southern Indian Ocean,” he said.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 went missing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, with a total of 239 passengers on board.