Saturday December 16, 2017
Home India Delhi governm...

Delhi government ex-principal secretary sued for bribery

0
62

New Delhi: Delhi government’s ex-principal secretary Sanjay Pratap Singh has been accused of accumulating disproportionate assets worth Rs 6.14 crore. The CBI filed a case against him on Wednesday, officials said.

Singh, a 1984 batch Indian Administration Service (IAS) officer, has been booked on charges under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

“Sanjay Pratap Singh has been booked for possession of alleged disproportionate assets of Rs 6.14 crore. He was earlier arrested on December 8 in a bribery case,” said a CBI official.

Singh, a former principal secretary in the department of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Minorities under the city government, and his personal assistant was arrested on December 8 in a case of bribery of Rs 2.2 lakh.

A case was registered on a complaint by a businessman, whose firm supplies peons, security guards and other staff for sundry works to various agencies.

The businessman accused Singh of demanding Rs 2.2 lakh through his personal assistant to clear pending bills for services rendered by the company.

The CBI raided Singh’s residence and recovered documents pertaining to ownership of eight properties in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR), including three properties in Noida, two in Greater Noida, two in Gurgaon and booking of one floor at Safdurjung Enclave in Delhi.

A CBI official said these properties were in the name of Singh and his wife.

At least 31 gold bars, cash amounting to Rs 36.1 lakh, $5,279, and 1,230 pounds as well as 100-gram gold coins and 5 kg silver utensils were also recovered from Singh’s lockers.

“Bank balance of Rs 2 crore in 22 accounts maintained by him and his family members and investment of Rs 2 crore in fixed deposits and personal provident fund (PPF) accounts and tax-free bonds were also found during searches,” the official said.(IANS)

Next Story

Delhi Court grants Bail to Former Delhi Minister Sandeep Kumar in Rape Case

He was booked under Sections 376 (committing rape) and 328 (causing hurt with poison, with an intent to commit an offence) of the Indian Penal Code

0
104
Sandeep Kumar, ex-minister of Aam Aadmi Party. Facebook

New Delhi, November 8, 2016: A Delhi court on Monday granted bail to former Delhi minister Sandeep Kumar, who was arrested on the charge of rape.

Special Judge Poonam Chaudhry granted bail to Kumar, who was sacked from the Aam Aadmi Party government after the case came to light.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

The former Social Welfare and Women and Child Development Minister, who was also suspended from the AAP, was arrested on September 3 on a complaint filed with the Sultanpuri police station in north Delhi by a woman who figured in a sex video with him.

He was booked under Sections 376 (committing rape) and 328 (causing hurt with poison, with an intent to commit an offence) of the Indian Penal Code.

The AAP legislator was also charged under Section 67-A (publishing or transmitting material containing sexually explicit act in electronic form) of the Information Technology Act and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

The woman said in her complaint that she was sexually harassed by Kumar at his office-cum-residence in the Sultanpuri area where she had gone to get her ration card made.

In his bail plea, Kumar said he was in custody for nearly two months whereas the case probe is still incomplete.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

He said his conduct since the registration of a first information report had been good and unquestionable and he had himself surrendered before the police.

The Delhi Police, while opposing the bail plea, told the court he can try to influence witnesses and the complainant if released on bail. (IANS)

Next Story

Jharkhand girls make it to toppers’ list defying odds

It’s been a hard road to success for Aarti who now hopes to become an Indian Administrative Service official one day

0
140
St.Aloysius School Ranchi Jharkhand affiliated to the Jharkhand Academic Council Image Source: Wikimedia Commons

By Nityanand Shukla, Ranchi: Nothing could stop Aarti Kumari of Ranchi. Defying all the odds — poverty to displacement — this girl from Jharkhand stood out in her effort to make a mark. Today she has tasted success: Aarti is at the second spot in this year’s Arts intermediate merit list published by the Jharkhand Academic Council (JAC).

Aarti had lost her father in 2015 when she was studying in the 12th standard. It was then left to her mother to shoulder the responsibilities. But a distraught Aarti could not take the JAC exam that year.

But she pulled herself together and made up her mind. This year, she took the test and the JAC result proved that she’s one of the brightest students in Jharkhand.

Her mother has been the pillar of strength for Aarti and her brother, who has also completed his engineering studies.

Besides losing her father, Aarti had to face displacement as the family was forced to vacate their tenement in Naga Baba Khatal. They took shelter in another part of Ranchi. It was a tough time, but Aarti was constantly supported by her mother who told her to never deviate from her academic pursuits.

It’s been a hard road to success for Aarti who now hopes to become an Indian Administrative Service official one day.

Similar is the story of Gayatri Singh of Gumla district. Her parents work at a brick kiln in Uttar Pradesh. Gayatri, however, didn’t follow them to the neighbouring state — she stayed back along with her sisters and brother, who works in a local store.

Gayatri had been adamant that despite financial constraints and the troubles that come with it, she would never give up studying. Her brother worked hard to ensure that Gayatri was not forced to drop out.

The result has been spectacular: Gayatri is at the third spot on the JAC merit list.

No wonder then that the neighbours are happy — the girl next door has made them proud, proving that nothing can come in the way if one is powered by a dream, determination and hard work.

Another shining example of grit and determination is Reeta Nupur Kujur of Lohardaga district who followed her dreams even as she got married and gave birth to a son. She has secured 10th position as per the JAC merit list.

Reeta got married after taking her matriculation exam. The marital life took away much of her time, as she became a mother. But her wish to pursue studies remained etched deep in her heart. Thankfully, she was encouraged by her husband, a farmer, who understood the need to study if Reeta was to fulfil her dream to become an Indian Police Service official one day.

So after a gap of six years, Reeta got back to the study materials and took admission in a women’s college. There has been no looking back since then. Reeta now plans to pursue graduate course in English and then chase her dream to become an IPS official. (Source: IANS)

(Nityanand Shukla can be contacted at nityanand.s@ians.in)

ALSO READ: 

Next Story

‘I will surrender to the court tomorrow’: Digvijaya Singh on MP recruitment scam

0
73
Image source: youtube.com

New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh, slammed with an arrest warrant issued in relation to the Madhya Pradesh recruitment scam against him by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is set to surrender to a local court today.

Singh believes there is no charge of corruption, and the arrest warrant is nothing but an agitated act by the BJP since he took up the VYAPAM scam.

In a series of tweets, the Congress leader tweeted in this regard:

The arrest warrant was issued against Singh after he failed to appear when the court summoned him for the hearing.

Singh is accused to be involved in the alleged recruitment scam at the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Secretariat in Bhopal between 1993 and 2003. He was the chief minister during that time.

Remaining assertive, Singh believes the Congress gave a loan to a “nonprofit company” National Herald which proved to be a significant reason behind the freedom movement founded by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. He further added that BJP shared its party funds in order to publish a newspaper with a “for profit” company, Shree Multimedia Vision Ltd (SMVL).

Dragging Mr Subramaniam Swamy into his tweet, he tweeted:

And also:

Singh hit out at the Centre, stating Vinod Tawde still continues to be the director as a minister in Maharashtra who is the chairman of the multi-media vision, a ‘for profit company’.

“He has violated the Code of Conduct for Ministers as prescribed by Ministry of Home Govt of India. Shouldn’t he resign?”

Undeterred about the event, the Congress leader said he would surrender today and the state police can arrest him if they want to:

“The Madhya Pradesh police can arrest me if they want. I will surrender to the court tomorrow. I was about to go to Delhi but I have cancelled that also and now I will go to Bhopal,” Singh said.

“This is a 22-year-old scam and it is inevitable that the state government, who is already worried about the Vyapam scam, will target me. In those appointments there was an order by the Cabinet and not alone of mine,” he added.

The Jahangirabad police in February last year filed a cased against Singh, former Speaker Sriniwas Tiwari and others for alleged forgery, conspiracy, cheating, and misuse of office as well as offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act. Accused in the case are many others, amounting to a total of 24 people at present.

The filing was the result of a complaint issued by the Assembly Secretariat after witnessing irregularities in recruitment between 1993 and 2003. ( Inputs from Agencies)