Thursday October 19, 2017
Home World Emirates flig...

Emirates flight from Kerala in India catches fire in Dubai

An airport official said in Thiruvananthapuram that the flight EK521 took off at 10.25 am, 20 minutes behind schedule

0
345
Emirates plane crash. Image Source: www.newsx.com
  • “Emirates can confirm that an incident happened at Dubai International Airport at about 12.45 pm,” the airline tweeted
  • An airport official said in Thiruvananthapuram that the flight EK521 took off at 10.25 am, 20 minutes behind schedule
  • Dubai airport was immediately closed for landings and take offs. Flights headed to Dubai were diverted

An Emirates plane flying from Kerala with 275 people on board caught fire after landing here on Wednesday, August 3, leading to the closure of Dubai airport, officials said.

“Emirates can confirm that an incident happened at Dubai International Airport at about 12.45 pm,” the airline tweeted. It said all passengers were evacuated and there were no reported injuries.

Emirates aircraft catches fire after landing. Image Source: globalnews.ca
Emirates aircraft catches fire after landing. Image Source: globalnews.ca

But Dhanya Rajendran, Editor-in-chief at The News Minute, an online news portal, posted a photograph of the plane billowing smoke on the runway and said, quite a few passengers had been injured.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Emergency vehicles rushed to the aircraft.

An airport official said in Thiruvananthapuram that the flight EK521 took off at 10.25 am, 20 minutes behind schedule.

Another twitter account said one of the engines appeared to have fallen after the violent landing.

Emirates Flight EK521. Image Source: www.newsweek.com
Emirates Flight EK521. Image Source: www.newsweek.com

Dubai airport was immediately closed for landings and take offs. Flights headed to Dubai were diverted.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

The aircraft involved in the accident is a Boeing 777-300 that was delivered in March 2003. (IANS)

ALSO READ:

Next Story

Malaysia Says No decision On Offers to Search for Missing MH370

0
0
Boeing 777, Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. Wikimedia

Malaysia said on Tuesday it has received proposals from three companies offering to continue the search for the missing MH370, Malaysian Airlines flight, but no decision has been made yet.

Three years somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean, the missing MH370 is being searched since then, which was en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur with 239 people aboard. Its disappearance has become one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said proposals were received from U.S.-based seabed exploration firm Ocean Infinity, Dutch firm Fugro and an unidentified Malaysian company.

“We wont be deciding anything now on whether we are embarking on a new search or not,” Liow told reporters on the sidelines of an event in Kuala Lumpur.

“We have to discuss with the companies. It will take some time as it’s some detailed discussions,” he said.

Liow was commenting on media reports from Australia that said Malaysia could resume the search of Missing MH370 as early as this week.

Australia, Malaysia and China called off a A$200 million ($159.16 million), two-year search for the plane in January, amid protests from families of those onboard.

Liow said the proposals would eventually be presented to the other countries in the tripartite committee – China and Australia – before a decision was taken.

Representatives for Ocean Infinity have said the company would only want to be paid if the aircraft was found.

The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on March 8, 2014, and is thought to have been diverted thousands of miles off course out over the southern Indian Ocean before crashing off the coast of Western Australia.(VOA)

Next Story

Will we soon be able to travel from New York to Shanghai in just over 30 Minutes in a Rocket?

And guess what! The cost per seat should be about the same as full fare economy in an aircraft!

0
44
ROCKET
Billionaire entrepreneur and founder of SpaceX Elon Musk speaks below a computer-generated illustration of his new rocket at the 68th International Astronautical Congress 2017 in Adelaide, Australia. (VOA)

Australia, October 3, 2017 : U.S. billionaire innovator Elon Musk has unveiled plans for a new rocket that would allow passengers to travel from one continent to another in about 30 minutes.

At a presentation Friday in Adelaide, Australia, Musk showed a video of images of a rocket taking off in New York and landing in various places around the world, including Tokyo and Shanghai.

He said the New York-Shanghai trip could be done in 39 minutes, while a trip from Bangkok to Dubai would take 27 minutes and Tokyo to Delhi would be 30 minutes.

He added that the cost per seat should be about the same as full fare economy in an aircraft.

Musk noted there is no weather outside the Earth’s atmosphere to interfere with travel times and said that once you are beyond the atmosphere, “it would be as smooth as silk, no turbulence, nothing.”

ALSO READ Elon Musk Unveils Plans to put Humans on Mars by 2024

“If we are building this thing to go to the moon and Mars, then why not go to other places on Earth as well?” Musk said.

Musk, who founded and runs the company SpaceX along with the electric luxury car company Tesla, has long been making plans for rockets to travel to Mars.

Musk said SpaceX plans its first trip to Mars in 2022, carrying only cargo with a key mission to find the best source of water on the Red Planet. That mission would be followed by the first manned mission in 2024. He said the company was aiming to start construction on the first spaceship in the next six to nine months.

Musk said space flights to enable people to travel from one continent to another could help to pay for future missions to Mars.

Next Story

Honoured to be part of PM Narendra Modi book: UAE-based Indian artist Akbar Saheb

0
74
Indian artist Akbar Saheb. Twitter

New Delhi, May 26, 2017: UAE-based Indian artist Akbar Saheb says he is honored to be part of a new book based on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s speeches broadcast on radio program ‘Mann ki Baat’.

Akbar has done the 11 illustrations in the book — apart from the one on the cover.

The book, which deals with topics as diverse as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and bonds of humanity, was unveiled on Friday at Rashtrapati Bhavan here in the presence of President Pranab Mukherjee.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

The illustrations, made using waterproofing ink as a medium for artwork on paper, are themed around the Prime Minister’s different speeches, each giving out a positive message to the public.

“This is a huge honour for me; I feel extremely fortunate to be part of the book ‘Mann ki Baat’, which, as a radio programme, has been a social revolution, giving voice to thousands of Indians,” the 54-year-old artist said.

Born in Mangalore in Karnataka, the artist has been living in Dubai for the past 22 years.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

Akbar had earlier done a series of 12 paintings themed on the Prime Minister and his achievements over 12 years, which were also exhibited in Baroda in Gujarat in early 2015.

“I have been reading about Modi for 15 years but met him only in August 2015 when he visited the UAE. He left an indeliable impression on me as a people’s person. I’m humbled that he remembered me and I am mentioned as his well-wisher in the book,” Akbar added. (IANS)