Sunday February 25, 2018
Home India Ex-gratia Amo...

Ex-gratia Amount given to the Kin of Train Accident Victims remains Unchanged for 19 Years

0
//
92
People gather as rescuers work after 14 coaches of an overnight passenger train rolled off the track near Pukhrayan village Kanpur Dehat district, Uttar Pradesh state, India, Nov. 20, 2016. VOA
Republish
Reprint

Bhopal, Nov 20, 2016: Even though the cost of living and medical treatment have shot up manifold in the last two decades, the ex-gratia amount given to the kin of those killed in rail accidents has remained unchanged for the last 19 years.

The Rs 4-lakh ex-gratia was fixed way back in 1997, and it continues to be the norm even today. This is in sharp contrast to the previous practice of upward revision of the amount every 10 years or so.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

In response to an RTI application filed by Chandrashekhar Gaur of Neemuch in Madhya Pradesh, the Railways Ministry informed that the ex-gratia amount was raised to Rs 50,000 in 1973, Rs 1 lakh in 1983, Rs 2 lakh in 1990 and made Rs 4 lakh in 1997.
[bctt tweet=”The Rs 4-lakh ex-gratia was fixed way back in 1997, and it continues to be the norm even today.” username=””]

Gaur made the information public as Rs 3.5 lakh ex-gratia was announced by the railway authorities on Sunday for the kin of those killed in the Indore-Patna Rajendra Nagar Express derailment at Pukhrayan near Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh. At least 120 passengers were killed in the accident.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues

“If the previous practice of revision of ex-gratia money every 9-10 years had been followed, by now the amount would have become Rs 8 lakh,” he told IANS.

On his second RTI application earlier this year, the Ministry informed him that a proposal to raise the ex-gratia amount was pending consideration of the Railway Minister.

Gaur has sought an increase in the amount to Rs 25 lakh, suggesting that if Re 1 cess is imposed on every ticket, paying this much money would not be a problem for the government. (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

200 Officers to be Relocated to Strengthen Ground Operations: Railway Minister Piyush Goyal

0
//
33
A man cries after seeing dead body of his family, who died in the Mumbai stampede
A man cries after seeing dead body of his family, who died in the Mumbai stampede accident. ians

Mumbai, Sep 30: A day after 22 people died in a stampede on a railway foot overbridge in Mumbai, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal on Saturday said that 200 officers will be relocated from headquarters as field staff to enhance ground operations and that additional escalators are being sanctioned at crowded Mumbai stations.

“200 officers to be relocated from Head Quarters as field staff to strengthen ground operations and project implementation,” Goyal said in a series of tweets after holding a meeting with Railway Board officials here, in the aftermath of the accident at Elphinstone foot overbridge that killed 22 people.

He also said that to eliminate bureaucracy and delays, “I have empowered GMs to spend whatever is necessary on safety.”

Taking a lesson from the Friday stampede at Elphinstone station, Goyal said, “We are turning a 150 year old convention on its head, hereafter, FOBs (Foot Over Bridges) will be deemed mandatory not a passenger amenity.”

“Additional escalators sanctioned at crowded Mumbai suburban stations and thereafter for all high traffic stations,” added Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.

At least 22 commuters were killed and 39 others injured on Friday when a horrific stampede broke out on a narrow railway foot overbridge linking Elphinstone Road and Parel stations when hundreds took shelter there to escape pounding rain.(IANS)

Next Story