Saturday October 21, 2017
Home Uncategorized FIFA corrupti...

FIFA corruption scandal: Ecuador to ask US for criminal assistance

0
116

Quito: Ecuador’s attorney general Galo Chiriboga has announced that he will ask for international criminal assistance from the United States to get to the bottom of investigations against local football executives allegedly involved in the FIFA corruption scandal.

Chiriboga told local media on Tuesday that in the coming hours he will send an official application to the US Justice Ministry to formalise the request, reports Xinhua.

Last week, Ecuador’s Attorney General’s office announced it had launched an investigation into Luis Chiriboga and Francisco Acosta, the president and secretary of the Ecuadorian Football Federation (FEF) respectively, for alleged asset laundering.

The local justice system ordered both executives be kept under house arrest as they are both older than 65 years old and their personal bank accounts have also been frozen.

Also, FEF’s coordinator and head of logistics Vinicio Luna has been detained on remand.

The investigation was launched after the US Attorney’s Office linked the FEF president to the corruption scandal that is currently affecting FIFA. The scandal has affected other South American football federations and high-ranking executives.

The Ecuadorian attorney general said the information that will be required by the US authorities will contribute to the ongoing investigation being carried out by the Attorney General’s Office’s financial analysis unit.

“The Attorney General’s Office brought charges for the alleged asset laundering of $six million. This investigation is already ongoing. The accusation has been presented and for that reason, the Attorney General’s Office has 90 days, as stipulated by the law, to prove these claims,” said Galo Chiriboga.

Last week, U.S. attorney general Loretta Lynch accused another 16 high-ranking Latin American former and current executives from world football governing body, FIFA.

This new group, which includes the FEF president Luis Chiriboga, is accused of receiving bribes to favour third parties when awarding television and marketing rights for various national tournaments.

After the list of names was published, FEF suspended Luis Chiriboga from his presidential duties for 90 days as this is the time it will take for the preliminary investigations to be carried out.(IANS)

Next Story

Saudi Football Chiefs Apologize over Team’s Refusal to Pay Tribute

The Saudi football chiefs have apologised over their team's refusal to pay tributes to the London Attack victims.

0
40
Football
Saudi Football Players (White) getting into playing positions while Australia (Yellow) pays tribute. Twitter.
  • Saudi Arabia and Australia played a World Cup qualifying game in Australia on Thursday, 8th of June
  • Before the game, Australian players linked arms in tribute to the victims of the London Attack
  • The players from the Saudi team did not take part in the tribute, inviting criticism from all over the world

June 06, 2017: The Football Federation Australia (FFA) organized a minute’s silence to pay their tributes to the victims of the London Attack minutes before the start of the World Cup qualifying game between Australia and Saudi Arabia and both the teams were briefed in advance.

While the Australian stars linked arms and stood in support of condemning the terror attack, the Saudi players were seen taking up their respective playing positions on the field for the kick-off despite having agreed to the tradition in the pre-game briefing.

ALSO READ: Police Identify 3rd London attacker

The Saudi Arabian team has invited a lot of criticism and anger from the world over. Social media was quick to react and bring up the issue, prompting an apology from the Saudi Football officials. An Australian MP called it “a disgraceful act”.

The Saudi Arabian Football Federation has made an “unreserved apology”. They continue that the “players did not intend any disrespect to the victims or their families”. They also condemned all acts of terror.

ALSO READ: Theresa May’s Response to London Attack

Two Australians were among the eight victims who died in the London terror attack. Australia went on to win the game 3-2 and joined Saudi Arabia and Japan at the top of the group stage.

– by Saksham Narula of NewsGram. Twitter: @Saksham2394

Next Story

FIFA expresses satisfaction over Guwahati stadium for U-17 World Cup

0
51
FIFA, Pixabay

Guwahati, March 26, 2017: A delegation of the world football governing body FIFA, accompanied by members of the Local Organising Committee (LOC), on Sunday visited the Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium here to assess the preparedness of the FIFA Under-17 World Cup venue.

The delegation was pleased with the preparations at the venue and the eagerness shown by the Assam government, according to a release.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

Addressing the media after the inspection, FIFA Head of Events Jaime Yarza was happy with the progress at the venue.

“The state government is wonderful and their eagerness to be a great venue for the first FIFA tournament in the country is worth lauding. We know how passionate the supporters are in this part of the country and hence, we’re very happy to see the developments and preparations here in Guwahati,” he said.

“There are minor issues to sort out — like development of a new hotel for teams but I believe we are well on schedule for the tournament.”

Tournament Director of the LOC, Javier Ceppi, was also pleased with the progress shown.

“The state government of Assam has really taken the leadership when it comes to making the World Cup a huge effort in their state. We are already working on all operational and promotional matters to make sure that all the people of Assam and of the neighbouring north-eastern states can enjoy World Cup matches in the north-east,” Ceppi reckoned.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

Speaking about the venue which includes the stadium as well as training sites, he added: “The development in the stadium is very satisfactory and we are sure that the FIFA U-17 World Cup will do justice to the vision of Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal of making Guwahati the sports capital of India.”

Also present at the venue were Assam Sports Department Commissioner Ajay Tewari, Assam Football Association President Hemendra Nath Brahma and LOC Project Director Joy Bhattacharjya.

The delegation will finish their weeklong inspection at Kolkata on Monday. (IANS)

Next Story

Brazilian footballer Robinho faces extended spell on sidelines after scans revealed broken bone in his back

Brazilian footballer Robinho faces an extended spell on the sidelines a broken bone in his back.

0
55
A football fan, Pixabay

Brazil, Jan27, 2017: Brazilian footballer Robinho faces an extended spell on the sidelines after scans revealed a broken bone in his back.

The 33-year-old Atletico Mineiro player suffered the injury during Brazil’s 1-0 friendly victory over Colombia on Thursday, a match that raised money for victims of the Chapecoense air disaster, reports Xinhua news agency.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world. 

“Robinho suffered trauma in his back – a small fracture in the third vertebra,” Brazil team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said on Thursday.

“It’s similar to the one that Neymar had at the (2014) World Cup, but this is a little different because it’s an incomplete fracture without any deviation,” Lasmar added.

Robinho is expected to miss most or all of Atletico Mineiro’s Campeonato Mineiro campaign, which begins on Saturday. (IANS)