October 18, 2016: Yoga, which has been present since the ancient times has now become a trend for everyone and a fitness mantra! People who are hoping to tone up their body are hitting mostly the yoga classes than gyms. But here are a few misconceptions which everyone has about yoga. Lets have a look at the list!
1. NO! Yoga is not all about asanas: Yoga is not just about bending, stretching, and breathing. Yoga is actually an 8- limbed path that includes the practice of behaviour towards oneself and others, concentration and meditation.
2. Not flexible enough? No problem, you can still do yoga: Yes, you cannot do something perfect at the very first instance, similarly only being flexible doesn’t let you practice yoga. Practising yoga on regular basis allows the muscles to soften and strengthen, and Voila! You’ll soon become flexible enough to touch your toes without bending your knees which you have been struggling to achieve.
Follow NewsGram on Facebook
3. Become a herbivore to practice Yoga: Yes, a lot of schools of yoga encourage their students to strictly stop the intake of non-vegetarian food as a part of practising ahimsa. Our body needs every component even fat, so, jump on and take a bite on that piece of meat and grab that ice cream (not every day.. Controoooool ! )
4. No laughing or smiling during yoga classes: Just because you are in a yoga class does not mean you have to be there always in attention position. Yes, yoga is a kind of meditation but laughing and smiling relaxes you too. Isn’t it?
5. Yoga is only for FIT people: If u are termed “unfit” and you somehow manage to climb up a flight of stairs today, take up yoga practice regularly and you will soon be able to see the changes in you. You will not only stop feeling breathless while you climb up those stairs but also you will see changes physically, like dropping a few inches, lung capacity will increase and also did you know practising meditation cripples you away from depression and anxiety?
6. No! Not at all.. Yoga is not a religion but it is certainly spiritual! Yes, yoga is not a religion. Have you ever heard anyone say “I go to church to practice yoga!”, no, I am sure. Yoga is a spiritual practice but is far away from the traps of religious belief. You can be a Hindu, Christian, Muslim or Jew or anything and yoga will be there for you with its arms wide open.
7. You need to practice Yoga for at least an hour: Not at all, not everyone has time every day to practice yoga for one hour. Even 15 to 20 minutes of practising asanas can bring changes and benefits your mind, body and spirit. If you find yourself with a few minutes and want to move your body through a few yoga poses, try doing Sun Salutations, or even a few minutes of seated chair yoga at your desk.
8. Yoga is dangerous: Yes, when you are desperate enough to lose that extra flab you have put on, you pull and stretch your body vigorously. But hold on! every exercise routine has a red zone. When you see that while practising an asana, if it is hurting after a certain extent do not push yourself. Until then your are fine.
Follow NewsGram on Twitter
9. Yoga helps you sweat out toxins: NOOOOOOO ! When we sweat, our body is actually trying to maintain a healthy base temperature and stay cool to avoid damaging our organs from too much heat. Practising yoga helps one to stimulate your internal organs and immune system, toxins are removed from the body through our internal organs like the kidneys and the liver. You cannot flush out toxins from the body through your sweat.
10. Yoga is costly: Last but not the least, the big misconception that yoga is costly. Yes, the rates of yoga classes have gone up due to its growing demand but there are ways to save your pocket from being completely empty, it’s not necessary to buy costly mats and track suits look for kinds of stuff which are comfortable and affordable.
All clear? Now, Get the fittest body and turn heads wherever you go!
-by Enakshi Roy Chowdhury of Newsgram. Twitter: @enakshirc58Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram