Friday May 25, 2018

HC seeks status report on dengue from Centre, Delhi govt

0
//
31
Republish
Reprint

New Delhi:  Amid the rising cases of dengue in the national capital, the Delhi High Court on Thursday sought status report from the central and Delhi governments on the steps they have taken to control the mosquito-borne tropical disease.

A division bench of Chief Justice G. Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath said it was a serious issue and also impleaded civic agencies as parties in the case.

The court issued notice to the Centre, Delhi government, Municipal Corporations of Delhi (MCD) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and sought their response by September 24.

“Issue notice to Centre, Delhi government. File status report explaining the steps already taken by them. File short affidavit within two weeks,” said the court.

Delhi government’s senior standing counsel Rahul Mehra told the court that “government is on pro-active mode” and has been taking adequate steps to treat dengue patients.

“We have taken many steps. We have added 1,000 beds and planning to increase more beds in private hospitals. We are concerned for the citizens,” Mehra told the bench.

The court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by a law student Gauri Grover seeking registration of FIRs against directors of hospitals which denied treatment to a child who died of dengue and his parents later committed suicide.

However, the bench refrained from ordering lodging of an FIR and asked Grover’s counsel Satya Ranjan Swain to file additional documents relating to the negligence.

Dengue has claimed the lives of at least 16 people so far but the official toll is placed at five.

Delhi’s civic bodies have so far confirmed only five dengue deaths in the capital and the number of cases as 1,872.

With inputs from IANS

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Another Deadline Missed, No Draft Scheme on the Cauvery Dispute Till Now

On the expiry of the six-week deadline, the Centre sought extension of time till the completion of the electoral process in Karnata for submission of the Scheme.

0
//
33
The court said that even if the Centre has not framed the scheme, Karnataka, under the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal award, was obliged to make monthly releases to Tamil Nadu.
Supreme Court of India. Wikimedia commons

The Centre yet again failed to submit a draft Scheme on the Cauvery river water dispute before the Supreme Court on the ground that the Prime Minister and other ministers were campaigning in Karnataka, which Tamil Nadu flayed as “brazen partisanship”.

Seeking 10 more days to finalize the scheme, Attorney General K.K. Venugopal told Chief Justice Dipak Misra, Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Justice D.Y. Chandrachud: “A draft scheme has been placed before the Cabinet. Because of Karnataka elections, the Prime Minister and all other Ministers are in Karnataka. Before that the Prime Minister was abroad (in China).”

It also sought response from the Centre on the steps taken by it since the pronouncing of the judgement for putting in place a scheme for implementing its order on the sharing of Cauvery water among Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry.
Parliament of India, wikimedia commons

The Centre’s submission was countered strongly by senior counsel Shekhar Naphade, appearing for Tamil Nadu, who said: “Sorry to say, the Central government is politicizing the issue. They are worried about their electoral fate in Karnataka. Election in Karnataka is on May 12 and somehow they don’t want to do it till then. We have enough of it. It is brazen partisanship of the Union of India. It is the end of co-operative federalism.”

The apex court in its February 16 judgement had directed the Centre to frame a Scheme within six months in accordance with the recommendation by the Cauvery River Water Tribunal for constitution of the Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and Cauvery Regulatory Authority (CRA), which Karnataka opposes strongly.

On the expiry of the six-week deadline, the Centre sought extension of time till the completion of the electoral process in Karnata for submission of the Scheme. Tamil Nadu filed a contempt petition against the Centre for failure to act within the deadline.

Also Read: Reliance Jio Launches AI Based Platform – JioInteract 

During Thursday’s hearing, the court directed the Karnataka government to respond on how much of the four TMC of water it can release by month end. It also sought response from the Centre on the steps taken by it since the pronouncing of the judgement for putting in place a scheme for implementing its order on the sharing of Cauvery water among Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry.

In the course of the hearing, the court asked Karnataka to release 4 TMC of water by Monday.

The court said that even if the Centre has not framed the scheme, Karnataka, under the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal award, was obliged to make monthly releases to Tamil Nadu.

The court directed the next hearing of the matter on Tuesday. (IANS)

 

Next Story