Saturday January 20, 2018
Home India Legend of Ben...

Legend of Bengal School of Painting Dhirendra Nath Brahma passes away in Kolkata

In 2014, Barishal, Brahma had been presented the lifetime achievement award by the West Bengal government

0
//
442
Representational Image. Image source: Wikimedia Commons
Republish
Reprint

Kolkata, Aug 25, 2016: Celebrated artist Dhirendra Nath Brahma, a legend of the Bengal school of painting, died at a state-run hospital here on Wednesday following old-age complications, an associate said.

90-year-old Brahma passed away at the S S K M Hospital.

A master of calligraphy, who carried the legacy of the Bengal school of artists, Brahma followed the style and artistic vision of master artists Abanindranath Tagore and Nandalal Bose, under whom he had trained.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Born in 1924 at Barishal, now in Bangladesh, Brahma taught for long in the Government College of Art here imparting in his innumerable students the nuances of the neo-Bengal school of painting.

(From left) Artists Dhirendranath Brahma, Ranen Ayan Dutta, Ganesh Haloi and Jogen Chowdhury light the lamp at the closing ceremony of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Government College of Art & Craft on Tuesday evening. Picture by Amit Datta. Image source: Telegraph
(From left) Artists Dhirendranath Brahma, Ranen Ayan Dutta, Ganesh Haloi and Jogen Chowdhury light the lamp at the closing ceremony of the 150th anniversary celebrations of the Government College of Art & Craft on Tuesday evening. Picture by Amit Datta. Image source: Telegraph

Two of his mural paintings – “Pushyamitra Sunga and Patanjali” and “Heliodorus with his pillar in the background in a court scene ” – now adorn the hallowed corridors of the parliament in New Delhi.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

In 2014, he had been presented the lifetime achievement award by the West Bengal government.

Condoling Brahma’s death, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said: “I pray for the departed soul.” (IANS)

ALSO READ:
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Government ends Haj subsidy as part of a new policy

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government's agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

0
//
13
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. Wikimedia Commons
  • The government had drafted the policy after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022
  • The government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls
  • This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage

The central government on Tuesday said it has decided to withdraw subsidy given to hundreds and thousands of Muslims for the annual Haj pilgrimage.

Announcing the decision, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it was in line with the government’s agenda to empower minorities without appeasing them.

“This is part of our policy to empower minorities with dignity and without appeasement,” Naqvi told reporters here.

He said the government would utilise the funds saved from withdrawing the subsidy for the education of minorities, particularly girls.

Also Read: Muslim women can now travel to Haj without Mahram

The government had drafted the policy to abolish the Haj subsidy in a phased manner after the Supreme Court asked it in 2012 to withdraw it gradually by 2022.

This year, the highest number of Indian pilgrims are likely to go for the pilgrimage after Saudi Arabia increased India’s quota by 5,000.

A total of 1.75 lakh Indian Muslims can go for Haj this year. IANS

Next Story