Yangon: Myanmar’s Union Election Commission (UEC) on Wednesday announced that opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has won Sunday’s general election and has been re-elected to the House of Representatives (Lower House).
Representing her National League for Democracy (NLD), Aung San Suu Kyi, who is the party chairperson, contested in Yangon’s Kawhmu constituency mainly against rival U Kyaw Zin Hein, candidate of the ruling Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP), reported Xinhua.
So far, the NLD has secured a total of 291 seats in three levels of parliament, including 78 in the House of Representatives, 29 in the House of Nationalities and 182 in the Region or State Parliament, according to the result released by the UEC as of Tuesday night.
The USDP held 27 seats, six in the House of Representatives, two in the House of Nationalities and 19 in the Region or State Parliament.
A total of 333 representatives have been elected to parliament at three levels, according to the results announced by the UEC as of Tuesday night.
Yangon, October 22, 2017 : Myanmar has planned to launch its own satellite system MyanmarSat-2 in June in 2019, official Global New Light of Myanmar reported on Saturday.
To establish state-owned satellite system, the three ways — Condosat which is to lease the use of satellite transponder of another country, joint ownership system and total ownership system — are needed to be done, Vice President U Myint Swe told a coordination meeting of the steering committee in Nay Pyi Taw.
The MyanmarSat-2 will be used on joint ownership system while the MyanmarSat-1 is currently used on lease system.
United Nations, October 17, 2017: The UN food aid agency withdrew a critical report revealing desperate hunger among the Rohingya Muslim minority after the Myanmar government ordered it to be taken down, the media reported on Tuesday.
The July assessment by the World Food Programme (WFP) warned that more than 80,000 children under the age of five were “wasting” – a potentially fatal condition of rapid weight loss, reports the Guardian.
The six-page document has since been replaced with a statement saying Myanmar and WFP were “collaborating on a revised version”. That process would involve “representatives from various ministries, and will respond to the need for a common approach” that was in line with “WFP’s future cooperation with the government”.
When asked why the July report was removed, the WFP said it was withdrawn from the website “following a request by the government to conduct a joint review”, the Guardian reported.
In a statement, the agency said: “The WFP stands by its original assessment, which was conducted jointly with local authorities in Rakhine state… However WFP recognises that in a dynamic and evolving situation, it is important to coordinate closely with all partners, including the government.”
Meanwhile, the UN’s most senior official in the country is scheduled to leave at the end of the month amid allegations she suppressed another report and also attempted to shut down public advocacy on Rohingya suffering.
The current crisis began on August 25 when Rohingya insurgents attacked police checkpoints on Myanmar’s Rakhine state and killed 12 security personnel.
It resulted in over half a million Rohingya fleeing to neighboring Bangladesh, many alleging that the Myanmar Army conducted a counter-offensive that included mass killings and rapes.(IANS)
New York, September 21, 2017: The US will provide a humanitarian aid package worth $32 million to the Rohingya Muslim minority who have fled violence in Myanmar and crossed into neighbouring Bangladesh, the State Department announced.
The funding “reflects the US commitment to help address the unprecedented magnitude of suffering and urgent humanitarian needs of the Rohingya people,” said the State Department’s Acting Assistant Secretary Simon Henshaw on Wednesday at the ongoing UN General Assembly here.
He added that the US hoped its contribution would encourage other countries to provide more funding as well, reports CNN.
The aid package comes a day after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke with Myanmar de facto leader of Myanmar Aung San Suu Kyi and “welcomed the Myanmar government’s commitment to end the violence in Rakhine state and to allow those displaced by the violence to return home,” according to the State Department.
Tillerson “urged the Myanmar government and military to facilitate humanitarian aid for displaced people in the affected areas, and to address deeply troubling allegations of human rights abuses and violations”.
The State Department also said the aid “will help provide emergency shelter, food security, nutritional assistance, health assistance, psychosocial support, water, sanitation and hygiene, livelihoods, social inclusion, non-food items, disaster and crisis risk reduction, restoring family links, and protection to the over 400,000 displaced persons”.
Henshaw said Wednesday’s announcement brought the total US aid to Myanmar refugees, including Rohingya, to nearly $95 million in fiscal year 2017.
Some 415,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh since the ongoing violence broke out on August 25 when Rohingya rebels attacked police checkposts in Rakhine resulting in the deaths os 12 security personnel, CNN reported.
Speaking at the UN Security Council on Wednesday, Vice President Mike Pence called on the world body “to take strong and swift action to bring this crisis” of violence against the Rohingya people in Myanmar to an end.
“The United States renews our call on Burma’s security forces to end their violence immediately and support diplomatic efforts for a long-term solution.
“President (Donald) Trump and I also call on this security council and the United Nations to take strong and swift action to bring this crisis to an end.”
Pence also spoke about how the violence in Myanmar is a perfect example of the kind of problem the UN should help solve. (IANS)