New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday dismissed the pleas of Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi seeking to quash the summons issued to them by a trial court on BJP leader Subramanian Swamy’s complaint in the National Herald case.
Justice Sunil Gaur dismissed their pleas which means they will have to appear before the trial court in the case.
Apart from the Gandhis, the court also dismissed the pleas of Congress treasurer Motilal Vora, family friend Suman Dubey and party leader Oscar Fernandes who had moved the high court for quashing of summons to them by a trial court.
On June 26, the trial court issued summons to the Congress leaders on Swamy’s complaint about “cheating” in the acquisition of Associated Journals Ltd (AJL) by Young India Ltd (YIL) – “a firm in which Sonia and Rahul Gandhi each own a 38 percent stake”.
The Bharatiya Janata Party on Monday hailed the Delhi High Court order in this regard.
“This is what happens when you buy such a huge property for a pittance,” BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters here.
“India’s law is equal for the common people and Sonia-ji and Rahul-ji. Zyada der luka-chhupi nahi chalti (one can’t play hide-and-seek for long),” he added.
The BJP leader also flayed Assam assembly Speaker Pranab Gogoi’s decision to suspend six BJP MLAs from the house for the entire winter session.
“They were punished for raising the voice of the people against rising crime and corruption,” he observed.
Earlier in March, this year, Congress president Sonia Gandhi told the Delhi High Court that there was no “illegality” in the acquisition of AJL by YIL as per the Companies Act.
“BJP leader Subramanian Swamy has no locus standi in the case”, added the Congress leader.
(With inputs from IANS)Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram