New Delhi, October 3,2016: (Reuters) – Indian police have arrested six members of an Islamic State-inspired group suspected of plotting attacks on key figures and public places during the Hindu festival of Diwali, the national counter-terrorism agency said on Monday.
Islamic State has struggled to win over many recruits in India, which is home to the world’s third-largest Muslim population.
But over the past year or so, the National Investigation Agency has found small groups of people in the southern states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu who have either traveled to Syria to join the militant Sunni group or planned attacks inside India.
On Sunday, the NIA picked up six men while they were in a meeting in a hilltop shrine in Kerala and said they were gathering explosives and other material to mount attacks in southern India during Diwali later this month.
Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues
“During the searches, incriminating material including electronic devices have been seized from their possession and search of their premises,” the agency said in a statement, calling them members of an “Islamic State-inspired terror module”.
The men were between the ages of 24 and 30, an official at the agency said. Reuters was not in a position to independently confirm the police claims.
Earlier this year, investigators said 12 men, six women and three children went missing from Kerala and were later believed to have joined Islamic State.
(Reporting by Rupam Jain, Editing by Sanjeev Miglani)
New Delhi, October 25: A court here on Wednesday sent Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin’s son Syed Shahid, arrested in a six-year-old terror funding case, to NIA custody till November 1.
Shahid, 42, a Jammu and Kashmir government employee, was arrested here on Tuesday after he was called for questioning at the National Investigation Agency (NIA) headquarters.
He was presented before District Judge Poonam Bamba, who during in-camera proceedings, allowed the NIA to quiz Shahid to uncover his terror links.
The NIA has sought the custody on the grounds that it needs to interrogate Shahid to unearth a criminal conspiracy of raising funds by terror organization Hizbul Mujahideen and Shahid’s role in it.
The agency told the court that Shahid was collecting funds from Aijaz Bhat, a Srinagar resident now based in Saudi Arabia and a Hizbul Mujahideen militant, on the direction of his father Salahuddin, who is on the run.
Shahid over the years has been receiving and collecting funds through international wire money transfer from Bhat, an NIA statement said.
The NIA said Shahid was one of Bhat’s several contacts who were in telephonic touch “to receive the money transfer codes”. The money was meant to fund Hizbul Mujahideen’s militant activities in Jammu and Kashmir.
The NIA has seized Shahid’s mobile phone and sent it to a forensic lab for analysis, whose report is awaited.
Shahid, who lives with his family in Soibugh village of J&K’s Budgam district, works as a village agricultural assistant in the state Agriculture Department. His contractual job was confirmed by the government in March this year.
The 2011 terror funding case pertains to terror money sent through hawala channels by militants based in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia to Jammu and Kashmir.
The NIA had filed two charge sheets against six accused in the case in 2011. Four of them – Ghulam Mohammed Bhat, one of the closest aides of hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mohammed Sidiq Ganai, Ghulam Jeelani Liloo and Farooq Ahmad Dagga – are currently in Delhi’s Tihar Jail.
Two of the accused, Mohammad Maqbool Pandit and Aijaz Bhat, are on the run and have been declared proclaimed offenders. Pandit, like Aijaz Bhat, has been an active Hizbul Mujahideen militant and is currently based in Pakistan.
Aijaz Bhat, according to NIA records, received arms training with the Hizbul Mujahideen in Pakistan-administered Kashmir in the early 1990s.
He never returned to Srinagar and began working for the militant group in Pakistan. He is said to have stayed in Sialkot before shifting to Saudi Arabia for generating funds for the group’s activities in Jammu and Kashmir.
An NIA official said the agency, through phone records, found that he was in touch with Ghulam Mohammed Bhat, a Srinagar-based lawyer, in 2011.
According to NIA, the lawyer separatist had procured over Rs 4.50 crore from Pakistan through hawala channels within three years after 2008 for funding militant activities in the Kashmir Valley.
Ghulam Mohammed Bhat, Ganai, Liloo and Dagga were arrested on January 22, 2011, and Rs 21.20 lakh were recovered from them.
After their arrest, Aijaz Bhat used to send money to Shahid. The Hizbul founder’s son, according to an NIA official, received at least four installments of money in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Shahid is the third son of Salahuddin, who also heads the United Jihad Council, the amalgam of Kashmir militant groups based in Muzaffarabad in Pakistan.
Salahuddin unsuccessfully fought the 1987 Assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir. He then crossed over to Pakistan and founded the Hizbul Mujahideen — the largest militant group in Jammu and Kasmir. Salahuddin has five sons and two daughters, who are all employed by the state government.
Shahid’s arrest — it is the first time any member of Salahuddin’s family has been arrested — comes a day after Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced the decision to start a dialogue process in Jammu and Kashmir and named former Intelligence Bureau Director Dineshwar Sharma to talk to all stakeholders. (IANS)
Ranchi, October 13: Jailed Maoist commander Kundan Pahan in his interrogation by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has revealed that he was given Rs 5 crore to kill former Jharkhand Minister Ramesh Singh Munda in 2008.
According to sources in the police, Pahan admitted to taking a contract of Rs 5 crore to kill the then Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Munda. The contract was given by another former Minister Gopal Krishna Patar alias Raja Peter.
Raja Peter was arrested on Monday by the NIA in connection with the murder of Munda.
Munda was gunned by Maoist guerrillas in a public meeting on the outskirts of Ranchi in July 2008.
Sources in the police said the deal was struck between the politburo of the banned Maoist organization, Communist Party of India-Maoist, and Raja Peter.
Initially, Rs 3 crore was paid in advance and Rs 2 crore was paid after Munda was killed. The remaining Rs 2 crore could not reach the politburo of the CPI-Maoist as Maoist commander Balram Sahu escaped with the money. Balram was later arrested by police.
NIA is investigating how such a huge amount came to Raja Peter and who were the sponsors. Raja Peter is at present on NIA remand.
The sources revealed that the NIA is investigating the murder of Munda from many angles. The NIA is likely to interrogate more jailed Maoists to unveil the murder mystery.
Raja Peter had created history by defeating then Jharkhand Chief Minister and JMM chief Shibu Soren in the January 2009 by-election to the Tamar seat, which fell vacant after the murder of Ramesh Singh Munda. After Shibu Soren lost the poll, President’s Rule was imposed in Jharkhand. Raja Peter was again elected from the seat in the November 2009 Assembly poll and later became Minister.
Along with Raja Peter, NIA arrested Assistant Sub Inspector Sheshnath Singh in the Munda murder. Singh was the bodyguard of Munda and he allegedly passed on information about the movement of Munda to Maoists.(IANS)
Raja Chari is an American of Indian descent chosen by NASA for the new batch of astronauts
Currently, he is a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Air Force
Chari will have to go through two years of astronaut training which begins in August
June 06, 2017: NASA has chosen 12 astronauts out of a record-breaking 18,300 applications for upcoming space missions. An American of Indian descent, Raja Chari, has successfully earned his spot in the top 12.
The astronauts were selected on the basis of expertise, education, and physical tests. This batch of 12 astronauts is the largest group selected by NASA since two decades. The group consisting of 7 men and 5 women surpassed the minimum requirements of NASA.
Born in Waterloo, Iowa, Chari graduated from Air Force Academy in 1999 with a bachelor’s degree in Astronautical Engineering and Engineering Science. He went on to complete his master’s in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The astronaut is also a graduate of US Naval Test Pilot School.
Currently, Raja Chari is a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Air Force. He is the commander of 461st Flight Test Squadron and director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base in California.
After Late Kalpana Chawla, Lt. Col. Raja Chari is the second Indian American astronaut chosen by NASA.
The 12 astronauts will have to go through two years of training. Upon completion, they will be assigned their missions ranging from research at the International Space Station, launching from American soil on spacecraft by private companies, to flying on deep space missions on NASA’s Orion Spacecraft.
The US Vice-President Mike Pence visited the Johnson Space Centre in Houston to announce and congratulate the new batch. Pence also said that President Trump is “fully committed” to NASA’s missions in space.