Monday May 28, 2018
Home World North Korea w...

North Korea warns Seoul over propaganda broadcasts

0
//
34
Republish
Reprint

Seoul: North Korea on Thursday warned of military action unless South Korea stops propaganda broadcasts in border areas within 48 hours, Seoul’s defence ministry said on Thursday.
2015-08-20_1910
The warning message urged South Korea’s frontline army units to stop propaganda broadcasts within 48 hours and remove all available facilities for psychological warfare, Xinhua news agency reported.

Unless the South Korean military follows the call, North Korean forces will launch military actions, Pyongyang further warned.

The message was sent after North Korea earlier in the day fired a shell toward South Korea near its border. The South Korean military retaliated with scores of shells.

The North Korean shell landed in a hill near South Korea’s army units. No damages and casualties have been reported yet.

Tensions escalated over the inter-Korean border after two South Korean soldiers were maimed by the explosion of landmines, which South Korea claimed was planted by Pyongyang.

North Korea has denied the allegation.

In retaliation for the provocation, the South Korean military resumed the propaganda broadcasts for the first time in about 11 years with loudspeakers, which North Korea called “a direct action of declaring war.”

(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Permission to Cover N-Site Closure is Denied by South Korea

North Korean authorities on Tuesday morning denied permission to South Korean journalists to attend the dismantling of their nuclear base scheduled to take place between May 23-25.

0
//
12
South Korean police on Friday sought an arrest warrant against the younger daughter of the president of Korean Air for allegedly assaulting an advertising agency executive in April.
Flag of South Korea, Pixabay

North Korean authorities on Tuesday morning denied permission to South Korean journalists to attend the dismantling of their nuclear base scheduled to take place between May 23-25.

Pyongyang had originally invited the South Korean media along with those from Russia, the US, the UK, and China, but the South Korean journalists’ list was rejected on Tuesday, Efe news reported quoting Seoul’s Ministry of Unification.

Members of a news agency and a South Korean television network had travelled to Beijing to fly to North Korea from there on Tuesday to attend the dismantling ceremony.

The Ministry in a statement said it regretted Pyongyang’s decision but despite the setback, it will continue working towards cooperating with Pyongyang and improving US-North Korea ties.

folk tale
representational image. Wikimedia

The announcement of the closure of the Punggye-ri base came during the inter-Korean summit, when Pyongyang pledged to work towards total denuclearisation, after claiming that it would stop its weapons tests.

Pyongyang, which announced that it wanted the closure to be made public with the presence of foreign journalists, has conducted six underground nuclear tests, including the last and most powerful in September 2017.

Also Read: Does Social Media Make Young Girls Unhappy?

The latest cancellation is a new setback after last week when Pyongyang abruptly suspended a high-level meeting with Seoul after accusing it of holding joint military exercises with the US.

Kim Jong-un’s regime also said that holding the summit with US President Donald Trump would be uncertain due to the pressure from the White House on the denuclearisation model that it wants to impose on North Korea. (IANS)

Next Story