Thursday December 14, 2017
Home World Paris attacks...

Paris attacks: Over 150 people dead in shootings, explosions

0
43
Photo: http://news.nationalpost.com

Paris: Over 150 people are killed in a series of shootings and blasts in Paris, local media reported on Friday.

The first shooting happened in the 10th district of Paris, followed by two or three explosions outside the national football stadium Stade de France, which caused at least three deaths and 10 injuries in very severe conditions, Xinhua quoted French tv BFMTV as saying.

The second shooting took place in a theater in the 11th district of Paris, where gunshots were heard. According to a police source, there are hostages taken inside the theater.

French President Francois Hollande, evacuated from Stade de France, is in the Interior Ministry for an emergency meeting with Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

(With inputs from IANS)

Next Story

Moment of Silence Begins Bataclan Concert for Paris Attack Victims, where 130 people got Killed and 500 wounded in Islamic State Terrorist Attack, a Year Ago

Rock star Sting headlined the Bataclan concert, which started with a minute of silence to remember the 90 people who were gunned down in the music hall on November 13, 2015

0
78
British musician Sting performs on stage at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, France, in this photo provided by Universal Music France, Nov. 12, 2016. VOA

November 12, 2016: The Bataclan concert hall in Paris reopened Saturday night, nearly a year after 130 people were killed and nearly 500 wounded in the city in a coordinated attack by Islamic State (IS) militants.

Rock star Sting headlined the Bataclan concert, which started with a minute of silence to remember the 90 people who were gunned down in the music hall on November 13, 2015.

IS claimed responsibility for the November attacks on eight sites, including the concert hall, cafes and a soccer stadium. It was the worst extremist violence ever to hit France.

The November attacks came just 10 months after an attack on the Paris offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, and the resulting three-day manhunt for the suspects. In all, 17 people were killed, as were three suspects. IS claimed responsibility for that attack as well.

British musician Sting performs on stage at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, France, Nov. 12, 2016. The show marked the reopening of the hall one year after suicidal jihadis turned it into a bloodbath and killed 90 revelers. VOA
British musician Sting performs on stage at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, France, Nov. 12, 2016. The show marked the reopening of the hall one year after suicidal jihadis turned it into a bloodbath and killed 90 revelers. VOA

After the moment of silence, Sting, lead singer for the British band The Police before he began a long solo career, told the crowd in attendance: “Tonight we have two tasks to achieve: first, to remember those who lost their lives in the attack, and then to celebrate life and music in this historic place.”

Daniel Psenny, who was wounded during the attack on the Bataclan last year, told The Associated Press that he was not apprehensive about Saturday’s concert.

“It was a concert of reconciliation. We are starting a new life; we start to live again,” Psenny told the AP.

However, Elodie Suigo, who lost six friends in the Bataclan attack, said, “It was difficult going through that door. I don’t think I was the only one.

“Everyone was looking at each other thinking: ‘What do we do here? We are lucky to be here, so let’s get in.’ We think about those who are not there anymore and we think about this place, how it was a year ago,” Suigo told the AP.

Proceeds from Saturday’s concert were earmarked for two charities helping survivors of the attacks, the Reuters news agency reported. (VOA)

Next Story

Changes in new Visa Waiver Program: US

0
32
exemption from visa

Washington: United States decided to start putting restrictions and implementing changes on US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) for citizens of 38 foreign countries.

Starting from Thursday, nationals of the VWP partner countries are required to get a visa ahead of their trip to the US if they “have travelled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011,” said a statement by the US state department.

Limited exceptions exist for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country, Xinhua reported.

In addition, nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of the above-mentioned four countries are no longer eligible for the VWP programme.

Despite the new restrictions, the US secretary of homeland security may still “waive these restrictions” on a “case-by-case basis” for individuals who traveled to the four countries as journalists, or on behalf of humanitarian agencies on official duty, or on behalf of international organisations, regional organisations and provincial or local governments, or for legitimate business-related purposes, according to the statement.

The VWP currently permits visa-free travel for 20 million visitors each year to the US for citizens of 38 programme partner countries.

After the Paris terrorist attacks on November 13, 2015, which killed at least 130 people and injured over 300 others, US lawmakers and government officials worried that the current VWP, which allows citizens from partner countries to enter the US for as long as 90 days without a visa, could pose a security threat to homeland security.(IANS)

Next Story

Kolkata pays tribute to Paris victims: monuments don French colors

0
97
Picture Courtesy:- www.scoopwhoop.com

Kolkata: Showing solidarity and deepest condolences towards those killed in last week’s Paris terror attack, two of the city’s iconic monuments – the Victoria Memorial and the Shaheed Minar – have been illuminated in the French national colors.

Victoria Memorial’s curator Jayanta Sengupta said on Friday that the monument dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria will remain illuminated in the French tricolor for a week.

It’s our humble attempt to show solidarity with all those who lost their lives in the attack and express concern on the growing magnitude of terrorism across the globe,

The Shaheed Minar was erected in 1828, in memory of Major General Sir David Ochterlony, commander of the British East India Company. It was re-dedicated to the memory of the martyrs of the Indian freedom movement in August 1969.

The coordinated Mumbai-style bombings and shootings in the French capital on November 13 killed 129 people and injured some 350 others.

While people from all walks of life took out candlelight vigil post the attack, a minute’s silence was observed during the inauguration of the 21st edition of the Kolkata International Film Festival on Saturday to pay respects to the terror attack victims.

(Inputs from IANS)