Sunday May 27, 2018
Home Politics Patidar Prote...

Patidar Protest: Hardik Patel faces media in Delhi; walks off abruptly

0
//
57
Republish
Reprint

By Manas Dwivedi

Hardik Patel, the 22 year old B.Com graduate, who recently rose to limelight across the nation for his massive caste protest in Gujarat, landed in Delhi today.

Addressing the media at Press Club of India, Patel voiced for expanding the reservation movement across the nation. Revolving around a single point of demanding reservation throughout, Patel found it difficult to answer the media and left abruptly.

Patel clarified the objective of the movement and hinted at the possibility of a nationwide protest if his demands aren’t met. Regarding the involvement of Gurjars and Jats in the protest, he said that the Patidars would seek support from these communities to mount pressure on the government. He announced a mega rally in Lucknow and a similar protest at Jantar Mantar also.

Denying the fact that Patidar is a rich community, Patel said, “Only 10 % of us are prosperous, else others are starving for opportunities.” Insisting on caste based reservation he said, “The 27 crore Patidars in the country are exempted from their right and they should be given what they deserve.” He said he supports the idea of reservation based on economic status, but his community should get it first.

11894971_10200935669549883_1003855836_oHe declined any plans of coming into politics and said he just wanted to fight for the rights of his community. He said the corrupt system of the country has compelled him to protest.

On the question of Supreme Court’s directive of maximum 50 % reservation, Patel said that the constitution of the country should be amended for the provision of reservation.

He mourned the death of 11 people who died in the Ahmedabad violence and said that he will go to Prime Minister in the future if needed. During the whole course of interaction with the Press, Patel didn’t talk about any statistics or a logical reason behind giving reservation to Patidars.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Permission to Cover N-Site Closure is Denied by South Korea

North Korean authorities on Tuesday morning denied permission to South Korean journalists to attend the dismantling of their nuclear base scheduled to take place between May 23-25.

0
//
12
South Korean police on Friday sought an arrest warrant against the younger daughter of the president of Korean Air for allegedly assaulting an advertising agency executive in April.
Flag of South Korea, Pixabay

North Korean authorities on Tuesday morning denied permission to South Korean journalists to attend the dismantling of their nuclear base scheduled to take place between May 23-25.

Pyongyang had originally invited the South Korean media along with those from Russia, the US, the UK, and China, but the South Korean journalists’ list was rejected on Tuesday, Efe news reported quoting Seoul’s Ministry of Unification.

Members of a news agency and a South Korean television network had travelled to Beijing to fly to North Korea from there on Tuesday to attend the dismantling ceremony.

The Ministry in a statement said it regretted Pyongyang’s decision but despite the setback, it will continue working towards cooperating with Pyongyang and improving US-North Korea ties.

folk tale
representational image. Wikimedia

The announcement of the closure of the Punggye-ri base came during the inter-Korean summit, when Pyongyang pledged to work towards total denuclearisation, after claiming that it would stop its weapons tests.

Pyongyang, which announced that it wanted the closure to be made public with the presence of foreign journalists, has conducted six underground nuclear tests, including the last and most powerful in September 2017.

Also Read: Does Social Media Make Young Girls Unhappy?

The latest cancellation is a new setback after last week when Pyongyang abruptly suspended a high-level meeting with Seoul after accusing it of holding joint military exercises with the US.

Kim Jong-un’s regime also said that holding the summit with US President Donald Trump would be uncertain due to the pressure from the White House on the denuclearisation model that it wants to impose on North Korea. (IANS)

Next Story