Former Filipino militiaman Edgar Matobato, center, walks under tight security after testifying at the Philippine Senate in Pasay, south of Manila, Philippines on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2016. VOA
  • Edgar Matobato a former hitman in the Philippines blamed the president for killing of a justice official
  • The only response from Duterte’s spokesman that came was calling allegations false and said the testimony was “mere hearsay” from “a madman”
  • Edgar Matobato said he left the squad because he was bothered by his conscience

Sept 16, 2016: A self-confessed former hitman in the Philippines has accused the president Rodrigo Duterte of killing an justice official and ordering the deaths of hundreds of others while serving as a mayor of Davao City before resuming the presidency, earlier this year.

A former member of Philippines death squad told the senators in Manila on Thursday that he himself personally killed about 50 people using various methods that included feeding one man to an alligator south of Davao City and has burned others.

Follow NewsGram on Twitter

Describing the incident in which Matobato accused the president himself of killing in 1993 where his hit squad encountered a justice department agent who tried to stop them from carrying out a mission.The encounter escalated into a gun battle that ended with Duterte executing the agent, Matobato said.

President Rodrigo Duetrte who us accussed of ordering and himself excueting many extrajudical killings. Wikimedia
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte. Wikimedia

“Mayor Duterte was the one who finished him off. Jamisola (the justice department official) was still alive when he (Duterte) arrived. He emptied two Uzi magazines on him,” he said.

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

The only response from Duterte’s spokesman that came was calling allegations false and said the testimony was “mere hearsay” from “a madman.”

Edgar Matobato said he left the squad because he was bothered by his conscience. He also added that he was admitted to the justice department’s witness protection programme but left to go into hiding when Duterte won the presidency.

– prepared by Anubhuti Gupta of Newsgram with inputs from VOA. Twitter: @anuB_11

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram