Tuesday March 20, 2018
Home India Pune Anti-Ter...

Pune Anti-Terror Squad tightens security after IS threats


Pune: The Anti-Terrorism Squad headquarters’ security was tightened after ATS Pune and Mumbai offices received threat letters allegedly made by the terror group Islamic State (IS), an official stated on Wednesday.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Branch) Shrikant Phatak told the reporters that the letter was targeted at Assistant Commissioner of Police (ATS-Pune) Bhanupratap Barge stating that he and his family would be eliminated.

“The (two) threat letters were sent to the Mumbai Police Commissonerate and an English newspaper office by post 12 days ago from Mulund and Dharavi. We received these four days ago after which we launched a probe,” Phatak told the media.

The letter envelopes comprised the postal marks of Mulund and Dharavi, the Mumbai police said. However, they were unclear upon the similarity of contents of the letters and sender details.

Barge’s name came to the limelight when he prevented the radicalisation of the 16-year-old Muslim girl who was allegedly fascinated by the ideology of the IS.

The Pune-based 16-year old who made 200 contacts around the world through the internet was reportedly radicalized by her IS contacts abroad. They brainwashed her to go to Syria. The Class XI student was later questioned by agents of the Pune Anti-Terrorism Squad and sent to a de-radicalisation centre.

(picture courtesy: http://en.academic.ru/)

(Inputs from Agencies)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Syrian Militia: End Is Near for Islamic State in Raqqa

Syria ISIS
Smoke rises near the stadium where the Islamic State militants are holed up after an airstrike by coalition forces at the frontline, in Raqqa, Syria. voa

Islamic State is on the verge of defeat in Syria’s Raqqa and the city may finally be cleared of the jihadists Saturday or Sunday, the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia told Reuters Saturday.

The U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State said around 100 of the jihadist group’s fighters had surrendered in Raqqa in the last 24 hours and had been “removed from the city,” but it still expected difficult fighting “in the days ahead.”

It did not say how the fighters had been removed or where the fighters had been taken.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said remaining Islamic State fighters were being transported out of Raqqa by bus under a deal between Islamic State, the U.S.-led coalition and the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which is dominated by the YPG. There was no immediate comment on that report from the coalition or the SDF.

Fighting since June

Civilians who escaped from Islamic State
Civilians who escaped from Islamic State militants rest at a mosque in Raqqa, Syria. voa

The SDF, backed by coalition airstrikes and special forces, has been battling since June to oust Islamic State from Raqqa city, formerly its de facto capital in Syria and a base of operations where it planned attacks against the West.

The final defeat of Islamic State at Raqqa will be a major milestone in efforts to roll back the group’s self-declared caliphate in Syria and Iraq, where earlier this year the group was driven from the city of Mosul.

“The battles are continuing in Raqqa city. Daesh (Islamic State) is on the verge of being finished. Today or tomorrow the city may be liberated,” YPG spokesman Nouri Mahmoud told Reuters by telephone.

In emailed comments to Reuters, coalition spokesman Ryan Dillon said about 100 Islamic State fighters had surrendered in Raqqa in the last 24 hours and were “removed from the city,” without giving further details.

“We still expect difficult fighting in the days ahead and will not set a time for when we think (Islamic State) will be completely defeated in Raqqa,” he said, adding that around 85 percent of Raqqa had been liberated as of Oct. 13.

Some civilians escape

Around 1,500 civilians had been able to safely make it to SDF lines within the last week, he added.

Omar Alloush, a member of a civilian council set up to run Raqqa, told Reuters late Friday that efforts were under way to secure the release of civilians and “a possible way to expel terrorist elements from Raqqa province,” without giving further details.

An activist group that reports on Raqqa, Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently, said on its Facebook page Saturday that dozens of buses had entered Raqqa city overnight, having traveled from the northern Raqqa countryside.

The Observatory said Syrian Islamic State fighters and their families had left the city, and buses had arrived to evacuate remaining foreign fighters and their families. It did not say where they would be taken.

During the more than six-year Syrian war, the arrival of buses in a conflict zone has often signaled an evacuation of combatants and civilians.

The campaign against Islamic State in Syria is now focused on its last major foothold in the country, the eastern province of Deir el-Zour, which neighbors Iraq.
Islamic State is facing separate offensives in Deir el-Zour by the SDF on one hand, and Syrian government forces supported by Iranian-backed militia and Russian airstrikes on the other. (VOA)

Next Story