Mumbai: A Pune-based rights activist has sought a probe into the circumstances surrounding the death of actor Salman Khan’s bodyguard Ravindra Patil, who was also a witness in the 2002 accident in which the actor was convicted in May.
The demand for a probe by the state government was made in a public interest litigation (PIL) filed before the Bombay High Court on Thursday.
Petitioner-activist Hemant Patil has contended that legal action must be initiated against Salman who allegedly pressurised the witness not to reveal the facts of the accident during the trial.
The petition is likely to come up for hearing before the court sometime next week, Hemant Patil’s lawyer R.N. Kachave said.
The petitioner claimed that during the trial, it was revealed that Salman and other unknown people used undue influence upon the late bodyguard.
Attempts were also made to prevent Ravindra Patil from giving the true version and correct statements pertaining to the accident, it was claimed.
Quoting some media reports, Kachave said Ravindra Patil had disappeared for some time and was later found dead under mysterious circumstances, which need to be probed.
He said Ravindra Patil even did not appear before the court which issued a non-bailable warrant against him, as he feared Salman and his associates, but instead of giving him protection, he was hounded and jailed.
It was after his release from jail that Ravindra Patil disappeared and was later traced to a hotel in the Mahabaleshwar hill station by a police team.
Subsequently, it transpired that he was suffering from tuberculosis and breathed his last on October 4, 2007.
“A probe into all this could throw more light into the entire accident case involving the actor and the truth can come out,” Kachave said.
Salman was found guilty and sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment by a Mumbai session court last month in the September 28, 2002 accident in Bandra which left one dead and four others injured.
His plea challenging the conviction will come up before the high court on July 1. (IANS)
Delhi court says a child cannot be thrown out of class
Convicts face jail-term and fine for willfully neglecting student
The offense entails a maximum of six months in jail under the old law
New Delhi, July 27, 2017: The Director and Principal of a school were sentenced a two-month jail term by a Delhi court on July 26 for causing mental trauma to a seven-year-old student by keeping her out of the class.
The court has said that a child cannot be thrown out of class as per the “whims and fancies” of school authorities because this can cause “immense” trauma to the child. It also directed OPG World School director Kavitha Chandra and principal Rajwant Kaur to pay a compensation of Rs. 2.5 lakh each to the child, mentioned PTI report.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ankur Jain held the accused guilty of deliberately neglecting the child, who was in class 3 at the time of the incident in 2012, causing her mental distress under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act.
However, the court has accepted the convicts’ plea to suspend their sentence for a month, granting them bail to enable them to file an appeal against the judgment before a superior court.
The offense entails a maximum of six months in jail under the old law, which after the amendment has been increased to three years.
A FIR had been lodged in 2012 following a complaint by the father and an NGO claiming ill-treatment of the child by school management on April 4, 2012, after he had questioned it over an increase in fees and accessory charges. The complaint alleged that the child was incorrectly kept away from her classmates, and confined at places in the school devoid of any children, or activity.
The school authorities, however, claimed that the parents had requested for a transfer certificate (TC), which had been issued on April 23, 2012, and instead of collecting it, the child had been sent to school to attend classes. On claims of not feeling “comfortable”, and knowing her history of asthma, the child was sent to an infirmary to rest.
The court refused to accept this version of the school authorities. “The theory of the child being not well also cannot be believed as the attendant/nurse from the infirmary was never examined to prove the factum of the child not being well”, the court said, further adding that the child bared unnecessary mental suffering by not being allowed to sit in class.
Advocate Chandra Suman, who represented the child, believes this is a first of its kind judgment against school authorities for “mentally harassing a child.
– prepared by Soha Kala for NewsGram. Twitter @SohaKala
NewsGram is a Chicago-based non-profit media organization. We depend upon support from our readers to maintain our objective reporting. Show your support by Donating to NewsGram. Donations to NewsGram are tax-exempt. Click here- www.newsgram.com/donate
Patna, Jan 20, 2017: The Bihar government today assured the Patna High Court that participation in Saturday’s human chain, billed as the world’s largest, was voluntary and alternative routes are being created to avoid traffic chaos due to the closure of national highways and state highways for five hours.
NewsGrambrings to you latest new stories in India.
Principal Additional Advocate General Lalit Kishore gave the state’s reply to a division bench of Acting Chief Justice Hemant Gupta and Justice Sudhir Singh during hearing of a PIL filed by NGO “Forum for Public Interest Litigation”.
The PIL wanted to know under what provision the state government decided to stop traffic on national and state highways for the January 21 human chain programme in support of prohibition.
The counsel for the petitioner, Shahibhusan Kumar, presented before the court a newspaper report which stated that block education officer of Sasaram passed a coercive order that students who do not participate in the human chain programme would be deprived of benefits provided by the state government.
Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.
The court directed Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh and Director General of Police P K Thakur to personally appear before it tomorrow to clarify on this and also how media comes under essential services to get exemption for plying vehicles on that day.
Kishore told the court that participation in human chain programme is voluntary and “there is no mandatory order for participation”. People are requested to join the programme through appeal, he said.
Regarding participation of school students, he said, the Education Department, which is conducting the human chain, has exempted students below class V from participating in the human chain and participation of students of class V and above is voluntary.
The Nitish Kumar government has planned the gigantic human chain spread across more than 11,292 km involving around two crore people.
The suicide bomb blast on August 8 at the entrance to the emergency department of the hospital in Quetta, has left the region lawless in more than one way
As the country mourned the victims, the lawyers said they would boycott court proceedings indefinitely
Now, there are very few lawyers left in Baluchistan and it will take years for the legal community to recover from this tragedy
August 19,2016: In what can be described as a devastating and inhumane attack, about 60 senior practicing lawyers and barristers were killed in the Baluchistan’s Capital Quetta on Monday, August 8. The suicide bomb blast on Monday at the entrance to the emergency department of the hospital in Quetta, the provincial capital of Balochistan, has left the region lawless in more than one way.
Balochistan faces many problems ranging from a suppressing government to the terrorist organisations, that has left the city in a precarious condition. Baluchistan, which is the home of the decades-old separatist insurgency is filled by real grievances over neglect and lack of political representation, mentioned The Washington Post. It borders Iran and Afghanistan and has abundant natural resources like oil and gas. There is violence between Sunni and Shia sect of the Muslim community, and leaders of the province are widely considered corrupt by many. There have been many reports of journalists being kidnapped as well, that makes it difficult for foreign journalists to step in that area.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan Jamaat-ur-Ahrar, Pakistani Taliban faction and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), also known as ISIS, have both claimed responsibility for the suicide attack at a hospital in Pakistan’s Quetta that killed more 70 people and injured more than a hundred.
The lawyers were at the emergency unit, because earlier that day (August 8) Bilal Anwar Kasi, the former president of the Balochistan Bar Association was shot by armed men. He was on his way to work when he was attacked and later he died due to the injuries. The lawyers and two cameramen who were present at the hospital to pay respect to Kasi who died from the blast at the gate of the emergency room were killed too.
As the country mourned the victims, the lawyers said they would boycott court proceedings indefinitely. It has been 12 days since the start of the boycott and the lawyers have refused to partake in judicial activities. They have refrained from appearing in the district sessions and high courts throughout the city. The lawyers refused to show up to represent their clients and judicial activities remained suspended.
Now, there are very few lawyers left in Baluchistan and it will take years for the legal community to recover from this tragedy.
A member of the Baluchistan Bar Council, Barkhurdar Khan, was one of the few lawyers who survived the attack. Through social media, he has expressed his sadness and the details of the heartbreaking incident. He has practiced in Quetta for nine months and he shares his grief over the death of his fellow law-practitioners, mentioned a leading news portal.
“All, I repeat ALL senior practicing lawyers and barristers died today. The number of junior lawyers, who are the sole breadwinners of their homes and who are now unemployed runs into hundreds, “said Khan to The Washington Post. “Most of those who died were first-gen educated. The scenes of misery and loss cannot be put into words. The bent shoulders of their fathers, the broken backs of their brothers. Their kids, still oblivious to their own loss, playing and hoping.”
– prepared by Ajay Krishna of NewsGram. Twitter: @ajkrish14