Wednesday December 13, 2017
Home Indian Diaspora Sikh-American...

Sikh-American’s attacker charged with hate crime

0
26

By NewsGram Staff Writer

credit: www.oneindia.com
credit: www.oneindia.com

Chicago: Teen responsible for racially motivated assault on a Sikh-American last week, has been charged with hate crime in addition to previous felony charges.

According to a media report, the teen would be charged for one count of hate crime and a Class four felony for hitting Inderjeet Singh Mukker.

The Sikh Coalition, an organisation that works for civil and human rights for all people, provided “additional evidence and information that showed hatred to be the primary motivation behind the crime” in a two-hour meeting on Monday.

Sikh coalition’s legal director, Harsimran Kaur, was quoted as saying, “For the Sikh-American community, a formal hate crime charge was never about a harsher penalty, but instead prosecuting the crime for what it was.”

“We cannot combat the problem of hatred against minority communities in America unless our elected officials and government agencies acknowledge that the problem exists,” she said.

On September 9, the teen punched and dubbed 53-year-old Mukker “Terrorist!” and “Bin Laden!” while he was on his way to a grocery store. He was later taken to a hospital and was treated for a fractured cheekbone, bruising and blood loss.

The police later arrested the teenager, believed to be 17 years of age, who was not named in the statement.

The state’s attorney’s office said the teenager resisted and punched a police officer when the police tried to arrest him from his house.

With Inputs from IANS

Next Story

Kansas Man Charged with Hate Crime for Shooting 2 Indian Men in US

A U.S. grand jury indicted Adam Purinton, 52, on charges of killing Srinivas Kuchibhotla and wounding Alok Madasani, both 32, because of their race, color, religion and national origin

0
57
Adam Purinton
A grand jury charged Adam Purinton with federal hate crime and firearms counts in a shooting in a suburban Kansas City bar. VOA
  • Adam Purinton, 52 is guilty of charges of killing Srinivas Kuchibhotla and wounding Alok Madasani because of their race, color, religion and national origin
  • The shootings also injured an American, Ian Grillot, 24, who tried to intervene.
  • If convicted, Purinton could face capital punishment or life in prison

US, June 10, 2017: A Kansas man, accused of shouting “get out of my country” as he shot dead one Indian man and injured another at a bar, faces federal hate crime and firearms charges, the U.S. Justice Department said on Friday.

A U.S. grand jury indicted Adam Purinton, 52, on charges of killing Srinivas Kuchibhotla and wounding Alok Madasani, both 32, because of their race, color, religion and national origin.

Purinton was also charged with a federal firearms violation in February 22 incident at Austins Bar and Grill in Olathe, a Kansas City suburb. The shootings also injured an American, Ian Grillot, 24, who tried to intervene.

ALSO READ: Embassy tells Indians in Qatar to stop panicking

“The indictment alleges that Purinton committed the offenses after substantial planning and premeditation, attempted to kill more than one person in a single criminal episode, and knowingly created a grave risk of death to others on the scene,” the Justice Department said in a news release.

An attorney for Purinton could not immediately be reached for comment. He also faces state murder and attempted murder charges.

Local media reported at the time that Purinton thought he had killed two Iranian men.

Purinton’s indictment comes amid growing concern about a wave of hateful actions across the United States aimed at blacks, Jews, Muslims and other groups targeted by inflammatory rhetoric that gained prominence during the 2016 presidential election.

If convicted, Purinton could face capital punishment or life in prison. Justice officials said they had not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty. (VOA)

 

Next Story

25-year-old Indian cabbie Pardeep Singh ‘racially abused’ and assaulted in Australia

0
59
Taxi in Canberra, (representative image) Wikimedia

Canberra, May 22, 2017: An Indian cab driver was assaulted and beaten unconscious in the Australian state of Tasmania by two passengers who yelled racial slurs at him.

Pardeep Singh, 25, was beaten by two passengers at the Sandy Bay McDonald’s drive-through on Saturday night. Singh said he was attacked when he asked the woman passenger to step outside the cab as she was going to throw up, Mercury newspaper reported on Monday.

“Please get out of the car… If you mess up the car you have to pay a cleaning fee,” Singh told the woman.

NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Singh said the passengers started abusing him and the woman told him in an expletive-filled rant that she wouldn’t pay the fare or cleaning fee.

“They punched me too many times and kicked me,” Singh said. “(They said) ‘You f…..g Indians deserve this’.”

Singh was admitted overnight to the Royal Hobart Hospital.

Police offical Ian Whish-Wilson said the two passengers were charged in relation to the assault on Singh.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

“There was a dispute over payment and it is alleged the passengers assaulted the driver and damaged the vehicle,” said the police official.

“It was alleged a racial comment was made during the assault but it does not appear that the incident was racially motivated,” he said.

The passengers – a 21-year-old Sandy Bay woman and a 25-year-old Kingston man – were charged with assault and injuring property and will appear in the Hobart Magistrates Court on June 26.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

In March, Indian cab driver Li Max Joy was assaulted by four teenagers in Tasmania and a third driver of the community was assaulted by four men in June last year.

The police official said the charges in this case were laid in relation to the March assault on Joy but no “special investigative unit” was established.

Singh, who is studying hospitality, said he will not drive taxis again “because it’s so dangerous”.

The bashing is the third attack on Indian taxi drivers in less than a year. (IANS)

Next Story

India condemns alleged Racial Attack on Nigerian Students who were brutally beaten up in Greater Noida

The attacks took place after protests over the death of Manish Khatri, a Class 12 student in Greater Noida's NSG Society

0
60
African students participate in a protest against the alleged assault of Tanzanian woman in Bangalore, India, Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016. Earlier this week police arrested four Indian men for allegedly assaulting and stripping a female Tanzanian student after dragging her out of a car in Bangalore, India's information technology hub. (AP Photo/Aijaz Rahi) (Representational Image), VOA

Noida, March 28, 2017: India on Tuesday condemned an alleged racial attack on Nigerian students who were brutally beaten up in Greater Noida by mobs targeting African nationals blaming them for drug running following the death of a teen due to suspected drug overdose.

Apprehending a diplomatic row over the attack near the national capital, the External Affairs Ministry assured of an impartial probe and said India was committed to the safety of foreigners in the country.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said she had spoken to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Aditya Nath Yogi, and he had assured her of a “fair and impartial investigation into this unfortunate incident”.

According to police in Greater Noida, some 40 km from Delhi, late on Monday night four Nigerian students were attacked by crowds near Pari Chowk while two more were beaten by a mob inside a shopping mall.

The attacks took place after protests over the death of Manish Khatri, a Class 12 student in Greater Noida’s NSG Society, Superintendent of Police Sujata Singh told IANS.

Khatri is said to have died of cardiac arrest due to suspected drug overdose on Saturday.

Singh said three FIRs had been registered.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

Five suspects were arrested and over 1,000 unknown people have been booked, police officer Avinish Dixit in Greater Noida told IANS.

Dixit said police had received a complaint from an association of Nigerian residents in Greater Noida.

Atul Saxena, store manager at Levi’s outlet in Ansal Plaza where one of the attacks occurred, said two Nigerians shopping in the mall rushed into the store, closed the door and pleaded with him to save them from the mob.

“After them, some 100 or 150 people forced open the door and barged in. They beat one of the Nigerians and dragged him out. The other had hid himself in a trial room. He too was dragged out and beaten up,” Saxena told IANS.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

The store manager said the Nigerians were beaten up by leather belts available in the store. “Some among the mob ransacked the shop and lifted goods too.”

The two assaulted Nigerians — Endurance Amarawa, 21, and Precious Amalcima, 24 — were taken to a hospital with facial injuries and minor fractures but doctors have ruled them out of danger.

“We were shopping in Ansal Plaza on Monday evening when suddenly a mob attacked us viciously. We tried to enter a showroom to save ourselves,” Precious Amalcima, who is doing political science from Noida International University (NIU), told reporters at the hospital.

Endurance is a first year BA-LLB student at the university.

A video shared online by the Association of African Students in India shows a mob beating, kicking and punching an African man repeatedly inside the mall. Some among the mob carried sticks, stools and trash cans to beat the man in the video which couldn’t be verified independently.

MEA spokesperson Gopal Baglay termed the incident “deplorable”.

Baglay said Minister of State for External Affairs M.J. Akbar spoke to Nigeria’s Acting High Commissioner and assured him of steps being taken for the safety and security of Nigerian nationals.

“The government is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all foreigners in India. People from Africa, including students and youths, remain our valued partners,” Baglay added.

In Gautambudh Nagar, District Magistrate N.P. Singh held a “peace meeting” with some Nigerians, police and civil officials, local resident welfare associations, students and representatives of colleges and universities of the area.

Singh, according to a statement, assured that the administration was committed to the safety of foreign students and said that the incidents had “blemished the image of India where thousands of foreign students come to study”.

“They are our guests and we should respect them. It part of our culture.” (IANS)