Monday December 11, 2017
Home India Three foreign...

Three foreign nationals arrested for carrying heroin worth Rs.7 crore: Delhi Police

0
91
Photo Credit: www.enkivillage.com

By NewsGram Staff-Writer

New Delhi: Delhi Police on Thursday said that they have arrested three foreign nationals Farhad, Paulinus Asochukwu, and Jabbar Khan for carrying 1.5 kg heroin valued at Rs.7 crore in the international market.

Photo Credit: www.delhipolice.nic.in
Photo Credit: www.delhipolice.nic.in

Farhad, 39-year-old Kabul resident, and Paulinus Asochukwu, 29-year-old Nigerian national, were held on Sunday from Tilak Nagar in west Delhi.

Police said Farhad, who used to supply heroin to Nigerian nationals, was to deliver the consignment of 1.5 kg heroin to Asochukwu.

On Farhad’s interrogation, police learnt about the hideouts of another Afghan drug trafficker, Jabbar Khan, 60, and arrested him on Tuesday.

Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said Farhad, who first came to India for treatment at the age of 8, again came to India and married an Afghani girl in Delhi.

“He is staying in Delhi since then and is providing assistance to Afghan nationals in medical treatment. He had come in touch with Jabbar Khan, who lured him into drug trafficking,” the official said.

The official said Asochukwu, who came to India on a business visa in March 2014, started trading in garments but suffered losses.

According to the official, Asochukwu came in contact of one Victor Bola G of Nigeria who was living at Tilak Nagar and started working on his direction.

“At the direction of Victor Bola G, he had come to take the delivery of the recovered heroin from Farhad and both of them were apprehended,” Yadav said.

Yadav said Jabbar had come to India in 2003 and started a textile business.

Yadav added: “Jabbar incurred huge loss in business and indulged in drug trafficking. He used to procure heroin from Rajasthan. In 2004, he was arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau and was sentenced on August 29, 2008, for 10 years’ imprisonment.

“He was released from jail on December 24, 2008, on bail granted by the Delhi High Court, which on September 7, 2015, had directed him to surrender in order to serve the remaining sentence, but instead he was planning to leave India.”

(With inputs from IANS)

Next Story

Con man in Delhi Duped Amazon for over Rs. 50 Lakh; Arrested by Delhi Police for Fraud

Shivam, a resident of north-west Delhi’s Tri Nagar, holds a degree in hotel management. However, he chose to use all his management skills to con the commercial giant, Amazon

0
39
Amazon logo. Wikimedia

New Delhi, October 11, 2017 : Leading e-commerce portal Amazon was taken for a ride by a 21-year-old youth who is said to have duped the company for over 50 lakh.

As per the police, the accused, identified as Shivam Chopra, bought over 166 expensive mobile phones via the online e-commerce store Amazon and consequently demanded refunds claiming he had received an empty box.

Shivam, a resident of north-west Delhi’s Tri Nagar, holds a degree in hotel management. However, he chose to use all his management skills to con the commercial giant, Amazon.

A complaint registered this year on behalf of Amazon Seller Services Private Limited first raised eyebrows in June when it was revealed that refunds had been claimed for as many as 166 mobile phones that had been ordered between April and May, on the claims that the delivery packages were empty. Suspicion gathered momentum when it was further revealed that payments for all these 166 mobiles were made through gift cards.

Allegedly, Shivam would use different customer accounts (reports suggest he used 48 different accounts) to place orders of expensive phones on Amazon and would provide the portal with a false address. He would then speak with the delivery associate and collect his order at a mutually decided place within the locality. Consequently, Shivam would then place complaints with Amazon, claiming that he had received an empty package and would demand a refund.

Subsequently, refunds were initiated in the form on gift cards.

ALSO READ Indian-origin Magician charged with multiple counts of helping others to fraudulently obtain money in Singapore

Following an enquiry, a case was registered with the Delhi Police in August.

The accused was then identified with the help of Amazon’s delivery persons, and the locals and by tracing the multiple numbers that were used to place the orders and Shivam was arrested on October 6.

According to the police, Shivam allegedly also purchased 150 pre-activated SIM cards to place the orders from different numbers. His accomplice in the con, Sachin Jain, has also been arrested, who helped provide him the SIM cards.

As per a report by PTI, upon investigation, the Delhi Police recovered 19 mobile phones from Shivam’s house. It was revealed that he had sold all other devices to buyers in the notorious Gaffar Market, or on the online marketplace OLX. The police also recovered Rs 12 lakh in cash, 40 bank passbooks and cheques from his house.

An Amazon India spokesperson later thanks ed the Delhi police for their services in an official statement and added, “We continue to work closely with the Delhi Police and thank them for all their efforts in the investigation.”

An ordinary guy who duped an e-commerce website and claimed refunds running into lakhs of rupees – the case is not a first of its kind. Previously, con-men had been arrested for duping rival e-commerce website FlipKart. However, what is peculiar is how no action has been taken to keep such frauds at bay and these cases continue to suffer.

 

Next Story

US Opioid Crisis : Deaths in 2016 from Drug Overdose ‘Highest in American History’, Says US Attorney General

Sessions said President Donald Trump's campaign pledge to end the opioid crisis remains a priority for his administration

0
19
DRUG OVERDOSE
A bag of 4-fluoroisobutyrylfentanyl, which was seized in a drug arrest, is displayed at the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Special Testing and Research Laboratory in Sterling, Va., Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)(VOA)

Washington, September 22, 2017 : U.S. deaths from drug overdose set a record of more than 64,000 in 2016, driven by an intractable opioid crisis, U.S. Attorney General said Thursday, citing preliminary government data.

Provisional data released last month by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) showed that there were 64,070 drug overdose deaths in the United States in 2016, up 21 percent from 52,898 the year before.

The NCHS is an arm of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The 2016 estimate “would be the highest drug death toll and the fastest increase in that death toll in American history,” Sessions said. “And every day this crisis continues to grow, as more than 5,000 Americans abuse painkillers for the first time.”

Opioids such as heroin and the synthetic drug fentanyl were responsible for most of the fatal overdoses, killing more than 33,000 Americans — quadruple the number from 20 years ago.

drug overdose
U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks at a news conference at the Justice Department in Washington (VOA)

“More Americans died of drug overdose than died from car crashes or died from AIDS at the height of the AIDS epidemic,” Sessions said. “For Americans under the age of 50, drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death.”

Sessions spoke at an event in Charleston, West Virginia, a state with the highest drug overdose rate in the country. In 2015, West Virginia reported more than 41 overdose deaths per 100,000 people, compared with a national average of 16 per 100,000, according to NCHS data.

Sessions said President Donald Trump’s campaign pledge to end the opioid crisis remains a priority for his administration.

“I believe that the department’s new resources and new efforts will bring more criminals to justice, and ultimately save lives,” Sessions said. “And I’m convinced this is a winnable war.”

In March, Trump named New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a former presidential candidate, to head the newly formed President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.

Last month, the commission urged the administration to declare the opioid crisis a national emergency.

“With approximately 142 Americans dying every day, America is enduring a death toll equal to September 11th every three weeks,” the commission said in an interim report.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price said that no declaration was necessary to combat the crisis, but White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders later said Trump was taking the idea “absolutely seriously.” (VOA)

Next Story

Delhi Police gears up to predominate anticipated Jat agitation in Lutyens Delhi

In order to take control over the forthcoming movement, Delhi police have issued a number of directives to be followed by people with effect from March 19 onwards

0
88
Image source: postpickle.com

New Delhi, March 19, 2017: Learning from its peers in the past, Delhi police has girded up their loins in to protect its streets and citizens from Jat agitation which is scheduled for Monday, March 20th.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

The All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti (AIJASS), which is spearheading the agitation demanding reservations in education and government jobs, has given a call for a march to the national capital to gherao Parliament and to hold dharnas on the Delhi border blocking all highways to press for its demands.

In order to take control over the forthcoming movement, Delhi police have issued a number of directives to be followed by people with effect from March 19 onwards.

Restriction on Entry of People to Lutyens Delhi

“New Delhi will not be used as transit point for people going from north to south Delhi or vice-versa. Commuters wishing to travel from south Delhi to central Delhi are advised to use Ring Road,” said Delhi Traffic Police in an advisory published on the twitter handle of Delhi police.

Several routes in the national capital, including Zakir Hussain Road, will be closed in view of the Jat agitation from March 19, 8.00 pm onwards, mentioned the advisory.

The roads which will remain closed are-

  • Kemal Ataturk Marg from Race Course Metro Station to Panchseel Marg
  • Safdarjung Road to Aurobindo Chowk
  • Kautilya Marg from Samrat Hotel to Niti Marg
  • Kautilya T-Point near Bihar Bhawan
  • Teen Murti to Gole Methi roundabout
  • Zakir Hussain road for the commuters coming from Nizamuddin to India Gate

Apart from the roads, the advisory of Delhi Police further mentioned about five entry points to Delhi which will remain closed from 11 a.m March 19 onwards. They are:

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

  • Ring Road to San Martin Marg
  • Amrita Shergill to Lodhi Road
  • Max Muller Road to Lodhi Road
  • Archbishop Makarios Marg from Lodhi Road and all lanes leading to Panchkuiyan Road except Mandir Marg
  • R.K. Ashram and Hospital Road

The Delhi Police advised students and those appearing in various entrance examinations to start before time so that they don’t get stuck owing to heavy checking and blockades.

Conditional Entries to Lutyens Delhi 

From 11 PM today, entry to Lutyens Delhi will be restricted and persons fulfilling certain criterion will only be allowed entry after proper verification and checking. It has also issued a list of categories of people, who will be allowed to enter Delhi districts. The list includes:

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

  • Bona fide residents
  • People working in various offices situated in New Delhi area
  • Emergency services
  • People coming to attend interviews
  • Examination in New Delhi area
  • Ambulances and fire brigades
  • Buses of school children and any other people coming for some urgent work

Section 144 Imposed

Delhi Police has decided to impose prohibitory orders under CrPC Section 144 across the national capital from March 19 onwards in a wake of putting a strict vigil in Lutyens Delhi on Monday to prevent protesters.

“Under no circumstances, any kind of dharna, violent protest will be allowed in Delhi. We have put adequate security and safety measures in place and tractor-trolleys will not be allowed to enter Delhi from border areas,” said Dependra Pathak, chief spokesperson of Delhi Police and Special Commissioner of Police (Operations) while talking to India Today

Follow NewsGram on Facebook

Last year, in the same month, Haryana witnessed the repercussions of Jat agitation which turned the state into a riot land; burning down the public and private properties, breaking and disrupting the modes of public transportation likes buses and trains. The losses suffered by the state with mammoth destructions in this movement was estimated around 34000 crores.

-prepared by Ashish Srivastava of NewsGram Twitter @PhulRetard