Two Bangkok attack suspects surrender


Bangkok: Two men identified as suspects in the deadly bombing of a shrine in Thailand’s capital Bangkok on Thursday surrendered to the police, insisting they are tour guides, authorities have said.

The pair were seen in security camera footage shortly before the blast took place on Monday evening when an improvised explosive device (IED) went off near the Brahma statue at the Erawan Shrine at the Ratchaprasong intersection in central Bangkok, killing 20 people and injuring 125 others, BBC reported.
The men, in red and white T-shirts, rose from a bench shortly before the main suspect, in yellow, sat down and left behind his backpack.

Officers are now questioning the pair.

Earlier in the day, police said that at least 10 people might have been involved in the attack and were likely to be linked to an international terrorist network.

“This operation was carried out by a big network,” said Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Somyot Poompanmoung.

The chief suspect is “an unnamed male foreigner”, according to an arrest warrant issued Wednesday by a Thai court.

The victims include nationals from China, Hong Kong, Britain, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.