By NewsGram Staff Writer
During its 39th meeting of the World Heritage Committee, held in the German city of Bonn on Sunday, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) named several new World Heritage Sites.
These World Heritage Sites are located in Norway, Germany, Israel, Scotland, and US respectively.
NewsGram brings you a glimpse of the new World Heritage Sites.
Norway’s Rjukan-Notodden industrial site includes a group of hydraulic centers and was built early in the last century by the Norsk Hydro company to manufacture fertilizers to meet the agricultural demand.
The new World Heritage Sites include the areas of Speicherstadt and the Kontorhaus neighborhood, which are the two central urban zones in the German port city of Hamburg.
Speicherstadt covers 300,000 square meters and was one of the largest port areas in the world, built between 1885 and 1927 and was partially reconstructed after World War II.
Kontorhaus was the site of the so-called Chilehaus, known for its modernistic architecture and six huge office complexes built between 1920 and 1940.
The Beit She’arim Necropolis in Israel is an ancient Jewish site located southeast of Haifa. It contains a series of catacombs that contain “works of art and inscriptions in Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew.”
The “innovative” Forth Bridge in Scotland, is the largest bridge of its type in the world. It was completed in 1890 and was designed to carry trains over the Forth River and is still very much in use today.
Finally, the San Antonio Missions, founded in what is now the US by Franciscan missionaries in the 18th century, include structures and ruins of architectural interest such as churches, houses, silos and irrigation systems.
The best known structure of the group, The Alamo, was the site of the famous 1836 battle when a heavily outnumbered force of Texas settlers seeking independence from Mexico were overrun and killed down to the last man by Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna and his Mexican troops.
The missions were built in and around the city of San Antonio, Texas, to convert the local Indians to Catholicism and make them Spanish subjects.