Tuesday January 16, 2018
Home Politics US President-...

US President-elect Donald Trump slams Civil rights Icon John Lewis for questioning his Legitimacy

Trump tries to shut down civil right icon who questioned the legitimacy of his win

0
//
80
Donald Trump Wikimedia
Republish
Reprint

Washington, Jan 15, 2017: US President-elect Donald Trump fired back at civil rights icon John Lewis, who said he did not view the real-estate mogul’s election victory as legitimate.

“Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime-infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk — no action or results,” Trump tweeted.

 NewsGram brings to you current foreign news from all over the world.

Trump made the remarks after Lewis told NBC in an interview that the Republican would take office as an illegitimate President, citing the US intelligence community’s allegations that Russia interfered in the election to harm his Democratic Party rival, Hillary Clinton, Efe news reports.

The 76-year-old Lewis — who spoke at the 1963 March on Washington, where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech — said he would not attend the Presidential inauguration for the first time in his 30 years in Congress.

“I believe in forgiveness. I believe in trying to work with people. It will be hard. It’s going to be very difficult. I don’t see this President-elect as a legitimate President,” Lewis said in his interview.

NewsGram brings to you top news around the world today.

“I think the Russians participated in helping this man get elected. And they helped destroy the candidacy of Hillary Clinton,” he added.

He said he would not attend the inauguration ceremony for that reason.

Check out NewsGram for latest international news updates.

“It will be the first one that I miss since I’ve been in Congress,” he said. “You cannot be at home with something that you feel that is wrong, is not right.” (IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 NewsGram

Next Story

On New Year, President Trump threatens to stop Aid to Pakistan

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid.

0
//
38
Donald Trump blasts Pakistan. Pixabay
Donald Trump points out the $33 billion aid that Pakistan had already got in the past. Pixabay
  • Donald Trump threatens to stop all USA’s aid to Pakistan on this  New Year.
  • Trump alleged that Pakistan misuses the funds and shelter terrorists.
  • Not only Trump, but Pakistan has been accused of the same by India and Afghanistan too.

President Donald Trump began the New Year on Monday with a blistering attack on Pakistan, saying it will get no more US aid as it was giving “safe haven to terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan”.

“The US has foolishly given Pakistan more than $33 billion in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies and deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools,” Trump tweeted in his strongest denunciation of Islamabad.

“They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!” he added.

There was no immediate official reaction in Islamabad.

terrorist
U.S. President, Donald Trump accused Pakistan of providing a safe heaven to terrorists. . Wikimedia

Trump’s announcement follows an increasingly tense back-and-forth between Washington and Islamabad after the US President unveiled his administration’s National Security Strategy.

He had then reminded Pakistan about its obligation towards helping the US because it got “massive payments” from Washington every year.

“We have made it clear to Pakistan that while we desire continued partnership, we must see decisive action against terrorist groups operating on their territory,” Trump had said. “They have to help.”

Pakistan is also accused by Afghanistan and India of harbouring terrorists ranged against the two countries. Islamabad routinely denies such charges. IANS

Next Story