Sunday May 27, 2018
Home Uncategorized Volcanic erup...

Volcanic eruption prompts evacuations in Chile

0
//
43
Republish
Reprint

6416888-4x3-940x705

Agencies

Around 6,400 people were forced to leave their homes on Friday, as Chile’s ‘Calbuco volcano’ erupted after 42 years, in Santiago.

2,000 people from three towns in the Los Lagos region left their homes as authorities announced the need for immediate evacuation. Another 4,400 have been displaced over the past two days.

Technicians from the National Geology and Mining Service, known as Sernageomin, detected the flow of lava and water on the Rio Correntoso side of the volcano that could cause the river to overflow and flood the nearby populated areas.

The Interior Minister Rodrigo Peñailillo said, “The evacuees will be temporarily lodged in three schools that have been fitted out as shelters in the neighboring city of Puerto Montt.”

The President Michelle Bachelet said that the Interior Minister will visit the affected area today, and stay there as long as it is required to coordinate the emergency measures and provide help to the local population.

“It cannot be disregarded that in the coming hours we could have a new eruption, probably not at the same energy level as those we’ve had, but we maintain a red alert in a complex situation,” said the director of Sernageomin, Rodrigo Alvarez.

Over the past few hours there have been some 1,600 seismic movements due to the activity of the volcano, which rises 2,015 meters above sea level, reported the officials.

“The presence of lava in the Rio Correntoso indicates an immediate risk of overflowing and the flooding of populated areas,” said the Los Lagos Governor, Nofal Abud.

Bachelet travelled on Thursday to the affected area to see the impact of the volcanic ash on agriculture and livestock, and to visit the displaced people.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

5.4 magnitude earthquake strikes Andaman and Nicobar, no Tsunami alert sounded

0
//
187

eaadaf9e5271abf35c4647eaf074562d

By NewsGram Staff Writer

A medium intensity earthquake, measuring 5.4 on the richter scale has struck the Andaman islands.

As per reports from the Indian Meteorological Department(IMD), the tremors were felt at around 2:28 PM. However, no Tsunami warning has been issued and no casualties have been reported till now.

The quake comes in the backdrop of the massive 7.9 magnitude earthquake that jolted Nepal on Saturday, killing more than 6200 people. The landlocked nation still has not fully recovered from the calamity.

Back in 2004, a monster earthquake had struck the Indian Ocean, unleashing giant tsunami waves of more than 30 metres, which claimed more than 230,000 lives, mostly in the island nation of Indonesia.

Close to 3500 people had died and 4000 people were displaced in the Andaman and Nicobar islands during the 2004 tsunami.

A similar tsunami warning had been sounded in 2012, when people in the Andaman and Nicobar islands were evacuated to higher ground. The warning was later cancelled.

The ecologically fragile chain of islands, is known for its diverse forests, majestic coral reefs and splendid beaches.

Next Story