Saturday April 21, 2018
Home India West Bengal G...

West Bengal Government to give Land Possession to Singur Farmers before Oct 21

The West Bengal government is set to provide physical possession of land to Singur farmers before October 21

0
//
189
Madhya Pradesh's initiative of smarter villages
Agricultural farms in India (Representational Image), pixabay
Republish
Reprint

Singur (West Bengal), October 14, 2016: The West Bengal government is set to provide physical possession of land to Singur farmers before October 21, senior state Minister Partha Chattopadhyay said on Thursday.

NewsGram brings to you latest new stories in India.

“We are happy with the progress. We hope we will be able to start the process of giving physical possession of land before October 21, after getting a green signal from Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. Most land has been made cultivable except 75 acres,” said Chattopadhyay after a meeting with district officials at Singur.

On September 29, Banerjee, in the Hooghly district’s administrative meeting, had given the October 21 dateline to remove all constructions from the Tata Nano project area as the state government was given the responsibility to return the land to farmers by the Supreme Court.

Go to NewsGram and check out news related to political current issues.

“In the initial phases, we are targeting to provide physical land possession for about 200 acres,” a district official told IANS.

The Supreme Court, on August 31, struck down the land acquisition made by the erstwhile Left Front government for the small car factory and ordered the land be returned to the cultivators within 12 weeks.

Look for latest news from India in NewsGram.

Redeeming a pledge she made years back, Banerjee had returned 9,117 land records to farmers and compensated 800 peasants from whom land had been taken against their wishes.(IANS)

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 NewsGram

Next Story

Raja Chari: Indian American Astronaut chosen by NASA

Raja Chari, an American of Indian descent, has been chosen by NASA as one of the 12 astronauts for a new space mission.

1
//
192
Raja Chari. Twitter.
  • Raja Chari is an American of Indian descent chosen by NASA for the new batch of astronauts
  • Currently, he is a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Air Force
  • Chari will have to go through two years of astronaut training which begins in August

June 06, 2017: NASA has chosen 12 astronauts out of a record-breaking 18,300 applications for upcoming space missions. An American of Indian descent, Raja Chari, has successfully earned his spot in the top 12.

The astronauts were selected on the basis of expertise, education, and physical tests. This batch of 12 astronauts is the largest group selected by NASA since two decades. The group consisting of 7 men and 5 women surpassed the minimum requirements of NASA.

Born in Waterloo, Iowa, Chari graduated from Air Force Academy in 1999 with a bachelor’s degree in Astronautical Engineering and Engineering Science. He went on to complete his master’s in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The astronaut is also a graduate of US Naval Test Pilot School.

Currently, Raja Chari is a Lieutenant Colonel in the US Air Force. He is the commander of 461st Flight Test Squadron and director of the F-35 Integrated Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base in California.

After Late Kalpana Chawla, Lt. Col. Raja Chari is the second Indian American astronaut chosen by NASA.

The 12 astronauts will have to go through two years of training. Upon completion, they will be assigned their missions ranging from research at the International Space Station, launching from American soil on spacecraft by private companies, to flying on deep space missions on NASA’s Orion Spacecraft.

The US Vice-President Mike Pence visited the Johnson Space Centre in Houston to announce and congratulate the new batch. Pence also said that President Trump is “fully committed” to NASA’s missions in space.

by Saksham Narula of NewsGram. Twitter: @Saksham2393

Next Story