Yakub Memon to be hanged on July 30


Nagpur: Yakub Memon, one of the prime accused in March 12, 1993 Mumbai serial bombs explosion, will be hanged on July 30 for his role in the terror blasts, official sources said on Wednesday.hqdefault

The sources said he will be hanged in Nagpur Central Jail, where he is currently lodged, following the recent rejection of his mercy petition by the president, an official, who declined to be identified, said.

A chartered accountant, Memon, 53, has filed his second review petition before the Supreme Court which is expected to be heard July 21, but the state government is making all preparations for the hanging with the warrant issued earlier this week.

Leading criminal lawyer and a former defence lawyer in the same case Majeed Memon questioned the need for the state government’s “hurry” in the matter even before the outcome of the second review petition.

“Are they pre-empting the issue or are they already before-hand aware of the outcome of the review petition? They should have waited till the matter is finally decided,” Majeed Memon, a top NCP leader and Member of Parliament, told IANS on Wednesday.

Memon, 53, was awarded the death sentence by a Special TADA Court in Mumbai in 2007 for his role of arranging for finances for the carrying out the 13 serial blasts which left 257 dead and over 700 injured across the city.

Subsequently, Memon – the brother of one of the main absconding accused Tiger Memon – appealed against the sentence in the Bombay High Court, Supreme Court and later filed a mercy petition with the president.