The seventh batch of pilgrims have departed for their journey to Amarnath Cave Shrine
This batch consists of 2,246 pilgrims including 1748 men, 401 women and 97 sadhus and sadhvis
With the departure of the seventh batch, total 25,294 pilgrims have left for Amarnath from Jammu
July 08, 2017: The seventh batch of pilgrims left Jammu on June 7, for their journey to reach Amarnath’s Cave shrine for a darshan of ice lingam. With this batch, the total number of pilgrims has reached 25,294.
This batch is made up of 1748 men, 401 women, and 97 sadhus and sadhvis. The Amarnath yatra began on June 28 from Jammu. The journey is to be done amid multi-tier security with CRPF escorting the pilgrims. The final destination is the twin base camp of Amarnath cave shrine.
10,461 pilgrims paid obeisance at the Holy Cave yesterday, however, lives of 3 pilgrims was claimed. The total death toll number for the ongoing pilgrimage has reached 9.
A staggering number of 1,15,841 pilgrims have made the journey to visit the ice lingam since the beginning of the pilgrimage. The annual yatra, this year too, has continued despite the terror threats. But it has prompted the authorities to be alert and prepared. The highest level of security measures have been adopted, including the latest satellite tracking system, mentioned PTI report.
Earlier an intelligence source has revealed that the militants have planned to target policemen and the many yatris. The CRPF, BSF, police, and army have all been instructed to secure the pilgrimage. Combined, over 40,000 troops have been mobilized to provide for the security.
Additionally, the center has provided the state with 25,000 personnel. This year’s Amarnath yatra is 8 days shorter than last year’s 48 days.
– prepared by Saksham Narula of NewsGram. Twitter: @Saksham2394
Jammu, September 2, 2016: Pakistan Army resorted to unprovoked firing at Indian positions on the Line of Control (LoC) on Friday in Akhnoor sector of the Jammu district.
Different sources told IANS in Jammu, “Pakistan Army violated the ceasefire today (Friday), using small weapons and automatics to target our positions in Akhnoor sector of the LoC, adding, “Our troops are effectively retaliating the Pakistan firing using the same calibre weapons.”
Two buses with about 22 passengers were washed away early on Wednesday, August 3, in flood waters after a bridge collapse on the Mumbai-GoaHighway, an official said.
The state government, National Disaster Response Force, Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard (ICG) launched a massive air and sea operation to trace the two MaharashtraState Road Transport Corporation buses and other five to six missing vehicles which were feared to have been washed away by the floods in the Arabian Sea in the coastal Konkan region.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, ministers and Raigad collector Sheetal Ugale were monitoring the situation, the official said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi called Mr Fadnavis and offered help in the rescue operations.
The ICG deployed a Chetak and SeaKing helicopters to search the buses. An NDRF team was on the way from Pune while the police and naval divers have launched a sea search.
Of the two ill-fated buses, the Jaigad-Mumbaiservice was driven by S. S. Kamble and conducted by V. K. Desai while the Rajapur-Borivali (north Mumbai) service was driven by E. S. Munde and conducted by P. B. Shirke, all based with the Chiplun Bus Depot in Ratnagiri.
The tragedy struck after heavy rains flooded the Savitri River which originates in Mahabaleshwar and flows through Ratnagiri-Raigad districts, leading to the collapse of a seven-decades-old British era bridge near Mahad around 1 a.m.
The buses with 11 passengers each went missing and there was no contact with either their drivers or the passengers, Raigad Collector Sheetal Ugale said.
Locals said that around five to six private vehicles were also missing and they were feared to be washed away in the floods.
“The bridge was built during the British era. After discussion with the National Highways Authority, we have shifted traffic to the new parallel bridge nearby. We are trying to confirm reports of other missing vehicles,” Ugale said.
Rehabilitation Minister Chandrakant Patil said helicopters would be deployed and the help of defence forces was being taken to search the missing vehicles.
Incessant rains continue to lash the coastal Konkan, northern and western Maharashtra since past five days, with at least 10 persons losing their lives in rain-related incidents in the past 24 hours. (IANS)