By Ruchika Verma
- Cricket is the most popular sport in India
- Indian Women Cricket Team has now started to gain more recognition
- In past year, the team has proved its mettle on the field on various occasions
Cricket is indubitably one of the most integral parts of India. From children to old people, everyone loves to watch and discuss cricket. Game of cricket has been raised to a stature where the players are more than just idols, they have become ‘god.’
For a country that takes cricket so seriously, the Indian women’s cricket team is often ignored in the shadow of their counterpart, the male cricket team. However, that was a case of past, now the Indian Women cricket team stands no more in the shadows and is basking in the glory which they rightly deserve.
Not only just cricket devotees but the whole nation now admits that India’s Women Cricket team, captained by versatile Mithali Raj and coached by Tushar Arothe, is one team which needs to be recognised more because of their talent and prowess on the field.
In 2017, India’s women cricket team proved its mettle in the field on various occasions. Here is the list of 6 occasions when they totally stunned us with their performance :
- What could have been a deterrent because of the ODI championship points the team has to give away (because of not playing a bilateral series with Pakistan), turned out to be a stunner. The series which happened in February showed the world some of finest performances by our women in blue. Especially, the Vice-captain Harmanpreet Kaur’s almost impossible 8 runs in 2 balls against South Africa which took India straight to the finals.
- Then came April’s Quadrangular series, where the Indian Women cricket team showed the world who’s the real boss. They beat the host, South Africa by eight wickets in the finals. Baller Jhulan Goswami was dubbed as the leading wicket-taker in ODIs. The series also witnessed a record partnership of whopping 320 runs Deepti Sharma and Punam Raut against Ireland.
- That match also made history with the Indian women cricket team scoring a total of 358 runs. It is India’s highest score ever in ODIs. Also, it made Deepti and Punam the first pair to go past 300 runs in the women ODIs. Also, Deepti’s 188 runs off 167 balls, is the second highest score in ODI history.
- Even though the Indian women cricket team has performed really well; the Indian women cricket team captain, Mithali Raj was not sure about them winning the 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup. However, the team went on to win three consecutive matches against the Women’s cricket teams of West Indies, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. It was a stunning a winning streak in which main contributors were, Smriti Mandhana, Ekta Bisht, and Deepti Sharma.
- This one is yet another feather in the fabulous cap of the Indian Women Cricket team. They beat New Zealand by 186 runs, which is easily the highest margin of victory in the history of the Women’s World Cup.
- In the semi-finals of 2017 Women’s Cricket World Cup, India beat Australia, who is considered the world No. 1, by 36 runs. The deed was done with an unbeaten 171 off 115 balls by Harmanpreet, which is the third-highest score in the Women’s Cricket and included a massive 20 fours and seven sixes.
Copyright 2018 NewsGram