Monday March 25, 2019
Home Politics Now, Centre a...

Now, Centre and Delhi Government battle over city’s heritage status

0
//

india-712575_1280

By NewsGram Staff Writer

Amid the ongoing Turf War between the centre and the state government, another issue has come raging between the two.

This time, the issue is regarding the national capital’s chance to become the first ‘world heritage city’ in India, which was killed by the centre last Thursday. The UNESCO World Heritage website reads that Delhi’s Imperial Capital City nomination was withdrawn by the state party (permanent delegation of India to UNESCO) on May 21st.

Though the Central Government has withdrawn Delhi’s nomination for ‘World Heritage City,’ however, the national capital is still in the race of getting the ‘heritage’ tag next year.

On Thursday, the centre had pulled out the name of Delhi from the lists of ‘World Heritage City’ just a month before UNESCO was to review nominations from across the world.

“I have written to the central government asking them to reconsider their decision. It has taken a lot of time and effort to reach this far, and the heritage tag would be a matter of great pride. The nominated zones are a very small area. This will not impact development,” said Delhi Tourism minister Jitender Tomar.

The centre also expressed its concern over the fact that the ‘heritage tag’ could have made lots of restrictions on the city’s development project.

“The heritage tag will slower the development program in the national capital as it imposes lots of restrictions in bulldozing the ancient buildings. Delhi is a heritage city and has lots of edifices more than 500 years old,” said a minister of Central Government.

According to the sources, the Delhi Government has already spent Rs. 2 crore for the nomination.

“We have made our initial procedure. Now it is up to the center to change its decision,” said an AAP Party member.

The city’s nomination will be granted in June 2016 on the basis of a review report given by UNESCO at the end of December this year.

Next Story

Netflix Testing New Mobile-only Subscription Plan For India

However, since this is a test, not all users would be able to be part of the new plan and it is also possible that Netflix could decide on not making it a permanent option after all

0
Netflix declined to share what other countries would be involved in the test besides India. Pixabay

In India and other select countries, content-streaming platform Netflix is testing a new mobile-only subscription plan that would only cost users $3.63 a month (Rs 251).

The basic Netflix streaming plan in India starts from $7.27 (Rs 500) and the test plan would slash the existing subscription plan exactly by half.

“We will be testing different options in select countries, where members can, for example, watch Netflix on their mobile device for a lower price and subscribe in shorter increments of time,” The Verge quoted Netflix as saying on Friday.

Although it remains unclear as of now, but the statement from the content-streaming platform hints that it could start offering weekly or bi-weekly subscription options alongside or instead of monthly plans.

Netflix
The test in India makes sense, given that Netflix has already expressed interest in the country, the report said. Pixabay

Netflix declined to share what other countries would be involved in the test besides India.

The test in India makes sense, given that Netflix has already expressed interest in the country, the report said.

Also Read- Election Commission of India Joins Twitter Ahead of LS Polls

Last week, Todd Yellin, Product Vice President at Netflix gave a keynote in Mumbai addressing company’s future plans of expanding interactive TV shows and Netflix original content from India on its platform.

However, since this is a test, not all users would be able to be part of the new plan and it is also possible that Netflix could decide on not making it a permanent option after all. (IANS)