Never miss a story

Get subscribed to our newsletter


×
FILE - Apple's App Store app is seen in Baltimore, MD., March 19, 2018. VOA

Taking a tough stand against contractors who listened to over 1,000 Siri recordings per shift including people having sex, Apple has reportedly laid off 300 contractors in Cork, Ireland.

According to a report in Engadget quoting the Guardian on Wednesday, after suspending the Siri “grading” programme last month, the Cupertino-based iPhone maker Apple has decided to terminate it.


“More contractors throughout Europe may have been let go”, said the report.

An erlier report in Irish Examiner said that contractors in the city of Cork listened to over 1,000 Siri recordings per shift before Apple suspended the programme last month.

They regularly heard drug deals, sensitive business deals and even recordings of people having sex picked up by Apple’s digital assistant.

The contractors had the job of listening to and grading recordings by Apple’s virtual assistant Siri. The employee said that the details of each Siri user were kept anonymous.


Apple’s Siri. Image source: Wikimedia Commons

“They (the recordings) were about a few seconds long, occasionally we would hear personal data or snippets of conversations but mostly it would be Siri commands,” the employee was quoted as saying.

The details were revealed after a whistleblower last month told the Guardian that Apple contractors worldwide regularly heard users’ conversations.

Apple users had no prior knowledge that their Siri recordings were listened to.

Also Read: Social Media Stress May Lead to Online Addiction: Study

After details of the practice came to light, Apple suspended transcription and grading work on Siri recordings last month.

“Apple is committed to customer privacy and made the decision to suspend Siri grading while we conduct a thorough review of our processes.

“We’re working closely with our partners as we do this to ensure the best possible outcome for our suppliers, their employees and our customers around the world,” a spokesperson for Apple was quoted as saying by the Irish Examiner. (IANS)


Popular

Wikipedia

A team is working to produce safest medicine for covid treatment.

A team led by chief scientist Ravi Shankar, is working on two combinations to provide the safest medication to coronavirus patients. "Experts say that a combination of antivirals with different mechanisms can be more effective to counter the viral pandemic. We are working on two combinations - Umifenovir with Molnupiravir (an antiviral) and Umifenovir with Niclosamide (anti-parasitic)," he said.

Also read: Antiviral Remdesivir Receives FDA

Molnupiravur drug has received only Emergency Use Authorisation in India and abroad. Though its usage showed reduced hospitalisation during clinical trials, its biggest drawback are the side-effects, he added.

"Now, we are trying to keep a low dosage of Molnupiravir in its combination with Umifenovir which may weed out the side-effects such as the risk of cartilage and muscle damage. If successful, it will make Umifenovir more effective in Covid-19 treatment," said the chief scientist. The other combination is Umifenovir with Niclosamide.

Keep Reading Show less
Unsplash

Take a moment to reflect on how much more there is to be thankful for in this life than there is to be sad about.

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."
– Soren Kierkegaard

No matter what obstacles life throws at you, it always creates a means to overcome them, whether via determination, persistence, or both. With so many things going on in our lives, it is easy to forget to be grateful for the valuable life that we have been given. To remind people of the value of life, it was determined that there should be a day when people take a close look at their lives and be appreciative of the experiences and memories it has brought us.

Keep Reading Show less
Wikipedia

He instructed Indian envoys to Canada and the US, "to urgently respond to the situation."

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Friday instructed Indian envoys to Canada and the US, Ajay Bisaria and Taranjit Singh Sandhu, "to urgently respond to the situation" where four Indian nationals including an infant have lost their lives on the US-Canada border. The minister said this in a public tweet. Neither of the two missions have responded on the microblogging site till the time of filing of this report.

In a statement Thursday without identifying the victims, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) stated that "on the morning of January 19, 2022, RCMP officers with the Integrated Border Enforcement Team received concerning information from their counterparts in the United States".

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) RCMP officers received concerning information from their counterparts in the United States.Wikipedia

Keep reading... Show less