Nivin Pauly is a versatile Indian film actor and producer. He is better known for his work in Malayalam cinema. Nivin Pauly was born into a Syro-Malabar Catholic family. His parents hailed from Aluva, Kerela but stayed in Switzerland for 25 years and Pauly used to visit them during his holidays.
He graduated in Electronics and Telecommunication from Federal Institute of Science and Technology (FISAT). During his college days, Pauly befriended Rinna Joy and later got married to her. After his graduation, Pauly joined Infosys and worked there for a couple of years, only to resign after his father’s demise.
Pauly first appeared for the audition of Vineeth Sreenivasan’s directional debut of Malarvaadi Arts Club in 2009. Initially, Pauly didn’t get selected in the final 12 shortlisted actors after applied for an audition but one of the actors opted that Nivin should be given a chance and fortunately, Pauly made that chance count got. The movie was released in July 2010.
Nivin Pauly married Rinna Joy, who was his classmate at FISAT, on 28th August 2010 at the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church in Aluva, Kerela. The couple’s first child, a son, Daveed, was born in 2012.
Later, he went on to do some very successful films including Neram, 1983, Ohm Shanthi Oshaana, Bangalore Days, Action Hero Biju and many more.
Pauly made his debut as a producer with ‘Action Hero Biju’ which starred him as the hero. The movie was made by his production company named Pauly Jr. Pictures.
After that, he did several small screen roles. Finally, Pauly got his breakthrough as a lead role in Thattathin Marayathu (2012), which was also directed by Vineeth Sreenivasan.
He has made guest appearances in a couple of successful movies like Vikramadithyan and Aanandam. Due to his versatility, he also acted in a few Tamil films too.
Also Read: Top 10 Movies of Madhuri Dixit
In 2015, Kochi times listed Pulay as the “Most Desirable Man”.
The movie Richie (2017) directed by Gautham Ramachandran is Nivin Pauly’s first movie to be released only in Tamil. The Malayalam actor had made his Tamil debut in 2013 with the bi-lingual movie ‘Neram ‘which was later released in Tamil and Malayalam.
Pauly received the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut for his Tamil debut Neram in 2013. Then in 2015, he bagged the Kerala State Film Award for Best Actor for his performances in Bangalore Days and 1983.
Also Read: Top 10 must watch Tamil movies of 2017
Here is a list of top Nivin Pauly movies, take a look:
- Premam is a 2015 Indian Malayalam movie, produced by Anwar Rasheed for Anwar Rasheed Entertainment. the film stars Nivin Pauly, Madonna Sebastian, Sai Pallavi, and Anupama Parameswaran in the lead roles. The movie is a romantic drama and a three-part portrait of the lead finding his true love. The film is written, edited, and directed by Alphonse Puthren.
- Sakhavu is a 2017 Indian Malayalam-language drama starring Nivin Pauly in the dual role. The film is written and directed by Sidhartha Siva. Pauly is seen as a cunning political leader and a senior social activist, who fights for his left-wing ideals. The film was released on 15 April 2017 to a positive count.
- Action Hero Biju is directed and co-written by Abrid Shine in his second directorial venture. The movie is based on the real professional life of an ordinary police officer. It is a 2016 Indian Malayalam-language drama starring Nivin Pauly in the title role of police inspector Biju Paulose, a sub-inspector with the Kochi City Police. After getting postponed on several occasions, the movie was released in Kerala on 4 February 2016 and rest of India on 5 February 2016.
- Ohm Shanthi Oshaana was produced by Ananya Films. It is a 2014 Indian Malayalam-language comedy film co-written and directed by Jude Anthany Joseph. The movie starred Nivin Pauly, Nazriya Nazim, Renji Panicker, Aju Varghese, and Vineeth Sreenivasan.
The movie got awarded in three Kerala State Film Awards including Best Popular Film, Best Actress for Nazriya Nazim and Best Editor for Lijo Paul.
- Neram was a bilingual black comedy-thriller film, made in Malayalam and Tamil languages. The movie starred stars Nivin Pauly, Nazriya Nazim and Bobby Simha in both versions. Alphonse Puthren directed and edited Neram as his directorial debut. The film’s both versions received positive reviews upon release and was a commercial success at the box-office.
- Bangalore Days is an Indian Malayalam-language movie. The film is written and directed by Anjali Menon and co-produced by Anwar Rasheed and Sophia Paul. The film features consisting of Nivin Pauly, Dulquer Salmaan and Nazriya Nazim in the lead roles.
The plot involves family relationships that revolve around three cousins from Kerala who move to Bangalore. The film received Kerala State Film Awards for Best Actor and Best Actress awards to Nivin Pauly and Nazriya Nazim respectively. Bangalore Days was later remade in Tamil as Bangalore Naatkal.
- Jacobinte Swargarajyam starred Nivin Pauly, Renji Panicker, Lakshmy Ramakrishnan, Sreenath Bhasi, Ashwin Kumar, and Sai Kumar in the lead roles. It is a 2016 Indian Malayalam-language drama written and directed by Vineeth Sreenivasan.
The film released on 8 April 2016 in India and was a grand success.
- Oru Vadakkan Selfie was one of the biggest grossers of the year and Kerala Film Producers Association called it the first successful Malayalam film of 2015. The movie was a 2015 Malayalam comedy thriller film directed by G. Prajith. Oru Vadakkan Selfie featured Nivin Pauly, Manjima Mohan, Aju Varghese, Neeraj Madhav and Vineeth Sreenivasan.
- Richie began production in June 2016 and was released in India on 8 December 2017. Richie is a 2017 Indian Tamil film directed by Gautham Ramachandran and written by Rakshit Shetty. The movie is a remake of the 2014 Kannada film Ulidavaru Kandanthe, and stars Nivin Pauly in the lead role.
- 1983 was produced under the banner of Shams Films stars Nivin Pauly in lead role. The movie is a 2014 Indian Malayalam coming-of-age sports drama film directed by fashion photographer Abrid Shine. 1983 received the 62nd National Film Awards for Best Background Score.