July 28, 2017: An offbeat food trend that has gained popularity over quite some time is the ‘Black Ice Cream’. The new fad in the genre of ice creams is shockingly black and much darker than the chocolate ice cream. This delectable treat is sold at various ice cream shops across the world. What truly makes it black isn’t any food coloring, it’s something that can detoxify or cleanse your body – “Activated Charcoal”.
The ingredient is also used in other foods to make them look black. This black ice cream is inspired by the great fire of London as well as the capital’s misty past. The charcoal ice cream is enriched with smoky, woody smells and flavors.
Charcoal-colored foods became a trend in the recent times starting with juices, like lemonades. Nonetheless, activated charcoal isn’t just another fashionable food ingredient. It has some real medicinal uses as well.
Here is what you need to know about Black Ice Cream and Activated Charcoal-
Activated charcoal is used in emergency rooms to treat overdoses of poisons and drugs.
As the activated charcoal can’t distinguish between good and the bad particles, it will cleanse your system of important medications including birth control by absorbing everything.
Combine it with a strawberry coulis and black sugar pearls to make it even more gruesome.
Let us know how to prepare Black Ice Cream. Below is a list of Ingredients that you will need:
• 1000g Whole Milk
• 300g Double Cream
• 5g Activated Coconut Charcoal
• 4 Drops Liquid Smoke
• 160g Egg Yolk
• 260g Sugar
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until it gets light and fluffy. Set it aside once done.
- Bring the milk, cream activated coconut charcoal and liquid smoke all together to the boil in a pan.
- Remove from heat, and immediately pour 1/3rd of the milk mixture onto the egg and sugar mixture and whisk well.
- Return the egg mix to the pan with the milk, and using a silicone spatula, stir constantly over a low heat.
- Cook the charcoal custard until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and pour through a sieve.
- Transfer the cooked custard into an ice cream machine, and churn until it is frozen. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe airtight container.
– by Naina Mishra of Newsgram. Twitter @Nainamishr94