Tuesday June 25, 2019
Home Lead Story China Remains...

China Remains Top Defense Priority: Acting US Defense Secretary

The U.S. military has carried out multiple freedom-of-navigation operations in the South China Sea

0
//
The two countries are deeply entrenched in a trade war as their militaries continue to vie for influence in the region. VOA

Acting Secretary of Defense Pat Shanahan said Wednesday that China remained his top defense priority, but that message could ring hollow during his current trip to Asia as Iranian threats loom over American plans to focus on great-power competitors.

Speaking to reporters en route to Jakarta, Shanahan said threats in the Middle East and North Korea would “consume time,” but the United States must not lose sight of China’s growing military power.

“Implementation of the National Defense Strategy is my top priority, [and] China is the priority within the National Defense Strategy,” he said in response to a question from VOA. He was referring to the Trump administration’s shift from a mostly counterterror approach to a policy that focuses more on competition with Russia and China.

Shanahan has embarked on what officials call a “listening trip” to the Asia-Pacific region that aims to reassure allies of the U.S. commitment to them. Shanahan is set to deliver a major speech on U.S. military posture in Asia, with a particular focus on China, during the annual Shangri-La defense forum in Singapore later this week.

China, Defense, Priority, US, Secretary
Chinese Defense Minster Wei Fenghe inspects the honor guard during a welcoming ceremony at the Ministry of Defense in Singapore, May 29, 2019. VOA

“I am not there to sell,” Shanahan said.

During the forum, the acting U.S. defense secretary is expected to meet with Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe. Shanahan said he would identify areas of cooperation with Beijing and candidly point out issues where China and the U.S. disagree.

The two countries are deeply entrenched in a trade war as their militaries continue to vie for influence in the region.

The U.S. military has carried out multiple freedom-of-navigation operations in the South China Sea in recent weeks to support universal passage through international spaces controversially claimed by China. U.S. military ships also have transited through the strategic Taiwan Strait at least once a month since the start of this year.

Also Read- Ghana Preparing for it’s First Digital Population, Housing Census

The U.S. supports self-ruled Taiwan, which China claims as its own.

Earlier this month, Shanahan identified Beijing’s aggressive military buildup, theft of technology and subversion of international law as major worries.

The Pentagon refers to China as a “near peer competitor,” but Bradley Bowman, a defense expert with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, said that term was quickly becoming “outdated.”

“In many areas, China now has capabilities that are as good as ours or better,” Bowman said, “and I don’t enjoy saying this, but it’s not clear how certain conflicts might end up today, if we were to go to war with China.”

North Korea

Shanahan started his trip in the U.S. state of Hawaii, where he met with Adm. Philip Davidson, head of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, before visiting Indonesia. After the Shangri-La defense forum, Shanahan will visit with his counterparts in South Korea and Japan.

China, Defense, Priority, US, Secretary
FILE – A missile is launched during a military drill in North Korea, in this May 10, 2019, photo supplied by the Korean Central News Agency. VOA

U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe differed Monday on whether recent North Korean missile tests violated a U.N. Security Council resolution, but they remained united on the goal of achieving a denuclearized Korean Peninsula.

At a joint news conference in Tokyo, Trump said he viewed the tests as a bid for attention by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and that he was not personally bothered by them. Abe, however, said the tests did violate the Security Council resolution.

Shanahan condemned the tests Wednesday and told reporters both the U.S. and Japan were committed to denuclearizing the peninsula.

“Let me just be clear, these were short-range missiles. Those are a violation” of the resolution, he said.

Also Read- YouTube Brings New, Cheaper Plans for Students for YouTube Premium

Michael O’Hanlon, a senior defense expert with the Brookings Institution, told VOA that while the launch was worrisome, it was not a “top-tier concern” yet.

“North Korea is signaling, I believe, that it could do more,” said O’Hanlon, “and I’m afraid we have to expect more of that, not less, given the path we’re on.”

Iran

Shanahan’s trip follows recent decisions to reinforce U.S. defenses in the Middle East to protect American forces from potential Iranian threats.

“The Iranian threat to our forces in the region remains,” Shanahan said Wednesday.

China, Defense, Priority, US, Secretary
FILE – In this May 3, 2019, photo released by the U.S. Navy, an F/A-18E Super Hornet launches from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. The U.S. sent the Lincoln and other military resources to the Middle East following “clear indications” that Iran and its proxy forces were preparing to possibly attack U.S. forces in the region, a defense official said on May 5, 2019. VOA

Officials have said Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and Iranian-backed proxy forces in the region posed credible threats to U.S. service members. They have blamed Iran for the sabotage of oil tankers in the region, a drone attack on a Saudi pipeline and an attack on the Green Zone in Iraq, but have not yet made public evidence to support these claims.

Shanahan said the Pentagon was being as transparent as possible while protecting its intelligence sources.

Also Read- Chinese Officials to Develop a Custom OS to Replace Windows

The U.S. is sending about 900 troops to Saudi Arabia and Qatar for additional intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support, along with increased air and engineering support to harden the defenses of American facilities.

A 600-person Patriot battalion has extended its deployment in the region to defend against missile threats, another Patriot battery has been sent to assist this mission, thousands of sailors in an aircraft carrier strike group have deployed to the region ahead of schedule, and the USS Arlington transport landing dock ship has been rerouted to the area. (VOA)

Next Story

Small Shops in US Often Sell Tobacco Without Checking Age

More than 64 per cent of grocery stores checked IDs, compared with about 34 per cent of convenience stores and tobacco shops, and 29 per cent bars, restaurants and alcohol stores

0
lung diseases
FILE - An anti-tobacco warning is seen on a road divider on the outskirts of New Delhi, India, Nov. 4, 2016. VOA

Those buying tobacco from shops in the US, especially small stores, are usually not asked for identification hence it is easy for underage users to buy cigarettes there, says a study.

When researchers, aged 20 and 21, visited a variety of shops in the US, more than 60 per cent of cashiers did not ask them for identification.

In the study published in the American Journal of Health Promotion, it was found that these young adults slipped by without an age check most often when they visited small stores, tobacco shops and shops plastered with tobacco ads.

“Our findings suggest that certain types of stores – tobacco shops, convenience stores and those with a lot of tobacco advertising – are more likely to sell tobacco to a young person without checking his or her ID,” said Megan Roberts, Assistant Professor at Ohio State University in the US.

tobacco
FILE – Cigarette packs are seen on shelves in a tobacco shop in Cagnes-sur-Mer, France. VOA

“One implication of this finding is that enforcement may benefit from targeted outreach and monitoring at these locations,” she added.

The study included visits to a randomly sampled 103 tobacco retailers in 2017.

Also Read: Use of Oral Steroids Increases Risk of Infection in People with Inflammation

More than 64 per cent of grocery stores checked IDs, compared with about 34 per cent of convenience stores and tobacco shops, and 29 per cent bars, restaurants and alcohol stores.

“Having a minimum legal sales age for tobacco is important for reducing youth access to tobacco. Not only does it prevent young people from purchasing tobacco for themselves, but it prevents them from buying tobacco and distributing it to others, often younger peers,” Roberts said. (IANS)