Monday February 18, 2019
Home India Clashes in Ka...

Clashes in Kashmir over murder of three youths

0
//
photo credits:The Indian Express

Srinagar: Intermittent clashes rocked several places in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Tuesday, as protestors pelted stones at the security forces over the murder of three youths whose bodies were found in an apple orchard on Monday.

2

Protestors took to the Baramulla-Muzaffarabad road at Narbal, Pattan, Palhallan and Sangrama, and pelted stones to block the passage of traffic on the highway.

After contingents of police and paramilitary forces were deployed to clear the highway, protestors clashed with them.

Though the highway was restored for traffic for some time, the protestors regrouped and again pelted stones at the security forces and private and public vehicles passing on the highway.

There was a complete shutdown in Pattan, Palhallan and Sopore towns over the murders of the three youths who police said belonged to the Lashkar-e-Islami breakaway group of the Hizbul Mujahideen.

Police said the youths were murdered because of a rivalry between the Hizbul Mujahideen and the breakaway outfit headed by wanted militant commander Qayoom Najar.

Police identified all the three bodies — which were found in an apple orchard in Pattan area — as those of militants belonging to Lashkar-e-Islami.

Meanwhile, the Hizbul Mujahideen issued a statement on Tuesday, saying there was no militant group known as Lashkar-e-Islami.

The Hizbul statement said the three youths belonged to the Hizbul and were killed by the security forces in a staged shootout.

Separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani and Muhammad Yasin Malik have called for a protest shutdown on Wednesday against the murder of the three youths.

-IANS

Next Story

Pakistan Rejects Any Link to Kashmir Terror Attack

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the attack was a matter of "grave concern".

0
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the attack was a matter of "grave concern" and it had been condemning "heightened acts of violence in the (Kashmir) Valley". Pixabay

Pakistan has denied any involvement in the suicide attack that claimed the lives of 45 CRPF troopers in Jammu and Kashmir.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the attack was a matter of “grave concern” and it had been condemning “heightened acts of violence in the (Kashmir) Valley”.

“We strongly reject any insinuation by elements in the Indian government and media circles that seek to link the attack to the State of Pakistan without investigations,” said the statement.

Kashmir, Pakistan
The Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), a Pakistan-based outfit, claimed responsibility for the attack in Pulwama district. Wikimedia

The Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM), a Pakistan-based outfit, claimed responsibility for the attack in Pulwama district. It was the worst ever attack on security forces on any single day since a separatist campaign broke out in Jammu and Kashmir in 1989.

ALSO READ: India to Withdraw Pakistan’s ‘Most Favoured Nation’ Status

India said the JeM was led by “international terrorist” Masood Azhar, who had been given full freedom by Islamabad to operate and expand his terror infrastructure in territories under the control of Pakistan and to carry out attacks in India and elsewhere with impunity. (IANS)