Wednesday June 19, 2019
Home India Controversial...

Controversial TV Show ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ goes Off Air: Story Revolved 18-year-old Girl marrying a 9-year-old Boy

After defending it for over a month, the channel has finally pulled the plug on the show in response to a series of complaints against its content.

0
//
Pehredaar Piya Ki
The show revolved around an 18-year-old girl marrying a nine-year-old boy. Youtube
  • The show which went on air last month gained popularity for all the wrong reasons
  • The plot revolves around an unusual marital bond between an 18-year old girl and a nine-year old boy
  • The channel decided to pull it off air following complaints on its content that is alleged to promote child marriage 

New Delhi, August 29, 2017 : Sony Entertainment Television on Tuesday said it has pulled its controversial show “Pehredaar Piya Ki” off air. The development came after a string of complaints against the show which revolved around an 18-year-old girl marrying a nine-year-old boy.

The development was effective from Monday, according to an official statement issued on behalf of the channel on Tuesday.

ALSO READ Where is Indian Television Steering? ‘Pehredar Piya Ki’ Shows a Young Boy and Mature Girl in Wedlock

“We are pulling off our programme ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ from television. While we understand that the decision to end this serial will be disappointing to those whose creative energies are vested in it, namely, its crew and cast, we (as a channel) are convinced that we will be better served by focusing instead on developing viewer interest in our upcoming, new shows.

“We are grateful to all the artists, producers and fans of our shows and request you to graciously support the viewership of our newer ventures,” the statement read.

Earlier this month, the Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) had directed the channel to shift the show to a late night slot, besides running it with a scroll stating that it does not promote the concept of child marriage.

Even an online petition was moved for a ban on the TV show, which has been described as having “obnoxious and perverted” content that can “severely impact impressionable minds of children”.

The makers have been defending it all along, saying viewers must understand the circumstances in which the girl has to marry the child.

“Pehredaar Piya Ki”, produced by Shashi Sumeet Productions, went on air last month. The makers were also reportedly planning to add a forward leap to the story. (IANS)

Next Story

Google Asking for an Exemption from Huawei Ban: Report

Reports that surfaced later on Friday also claimed that social networking giant Facebook has decided to ban Huawei from pre-installing its family of apps on its smartphones

0
google, online tracking
A man walks past a Google sign outside with a span of the Bay Bridge at rear in San Francisco, May 1, 2019. VOA

Asking for an exemption from the ban, Google’s recent discussions with the US government argues that Huawei ban is bad for the company’s technology business as well as for the national security.

Google also fears that the export ban would create a competitor to the US-made Operating Systems (OS), which would hurt the search engine giant’s Android monopoly, Ars Technica reported on Friday.

According to media reports, the argument that Google has put forward into highlights that Huawei’s dependence on Google for its Android OS is a good thing for the US.

Since Chinese manufacturers are still global smartphone distributors, they all build Google-approved Android OSes for the non-Chinese market. After the Google testing process, the OS splits into two versions– internationally, it gets the Google Apps; in China, it gets a Beijing-centric app selection.

The search engine giant says its control over the Android ecosystem means there is still some level of security and updatability going into these devices which would be lost if the trade relations are not mended, the report said.

US, Huawei CEO, China Ties
FILE – A man uses two smartphones at once outside a Huawei store in Beijing, May 20, 2019. VOA

Earlier in May, after US President Donald Trump banned effectively Huawei with a national security order, Google cut off the tech giant’s Android licence.

Several companies including Qualcomm, Microsoft, Intel and UK-based chip designer ARM suspended their transactions with the Chinese company.

Also Read- Tech Giant Apple Planning to Sue Owner of Independent iPhone Repair Shop

Reports that surfaced later on Friday also claimed that social networking giant Facebook has decided to ban Huawei from pre-installing its family of apps on its smartphones.

As an outcome of this trade war, Huawei might have a tough time building smartphones or an app ecosystem without the help of US-originated technology, but US hardware and software companies could lose access to the second largest smartphone maker in the world, the report added. (IANS)