When it comes to preparing for a tough competitive examination like IIT-JEE, which is the right time to study is an interesting question to ask. However, can the time of the day that one chooses to study really make a difference? Well, that depends if someone is a morning person or a night owl. Interestingly, each time of the day has its own loyal advocates who can list down endless benefits of their preferred time to convince others.
To be honest, each student is different, and this endless debate has no concrete and clear winner. Some students get more out of studying in the morning while others find night as the best time to study. So, what is the result? Which time should one prefer?
Here are a few benefits of both night and daytime studying that will help students choose the right time based on their preference for a fruitful engineering preparation.
Benefits of Studying During the Day
For students, who are pumped up with energy during the day, choosing the sunlight hours will work the best for them. The energy helps in focusing better and absorbing the information more effectively. The benefits of studying during the day include:
- After a refreshing and good night’s sleep, brain’s concentration power increases. In addition, the body is likely to have more energy to pull out a longer study session.
- With our society structured in a way that everything is active during the day, bookshops and libraries become easily accessible.
- Natural light keeps the brain in alert mode. Furthermore, natural light is better for the eyes as opposed to artificial light that hurts and affects the natural sleep rhythm.
- Contacting friends or teachers during the daytime is easier to solve any doubts that one may have.
Benefits of Studying During the Night
For students, who are more energetic in the later part of the day, choosing evening or nighttime will prove to be an effectivetime to study. The peaceful environment and fewer distractions during the night significantly contribute to effective learning. The benefits of studying during the night include:
- If someone likes studying in a quiet environment, nighttime is the best as people around are less active and intense during these hours.
- Libraries are usually vacant during the evening, it becomes easier to concentrate in a space that is rather
- The brain functions differently at night and opens avenues for creative thinking.
- During wee hours social networks are less active as most people are asleep; thus, resulting in fewer distractions.
- Last but not the least, sleeping after studying can improve recall and consolidate information.
Though there are many benefits associated with nighttime learning, one disadvantage it carries is that one may lose track of time and end up pulling an all-nighter. Less sleep is body’s greatest enemy and can end up breaking those Circadian rhythms that govern the body’s sleeping pattern.
Also Read: Famous Indian Lakes You Must Visit
When is the Best Time to Study?
It all depends on the lifestyle. The critical thing to keep here in mind is to give the body the right amount of sleep. So, whether someone is a morning person or a night-owl, keeping a tab on sleep hours will keep the mind fresh, active and open to new information.
So, if your child is preparing for IIT-JEE or NEET from any of the reputed centres like Aakash Institute, as a parent, it’s your responsibility to help your child find the right study time. If your child is comfortable using a combination of study techniques, give them the support they need in figuring out how to go about with their engineering preparation.