Tuesday January 23, 2018
Home Politics Delhi Turf Wa...

Delhi Turf War: Notification is illegal, says former solicitor general Subramanium

0
//
33
Republish
Reprint

245845-gopalsubramanium

By NewsGram Staff Writer

The Central Government’s notification giving Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor, Najeeb Jung, the final say in posting and transfer of Delhi government bureaucrats is “illegal and unconstitutional,” said the former solicitor general Gopal Subramanium.

As per the report of IANS, Subramanium said that the central government has no right to direct the Lt. Governor in posting and transfer of the government officials.

After Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal sought the former solicitor general’s opinion on the ongoing tussle, Subramanium said, “It singularly lacks propriety when the president is still seized with the question.”

“It is illegal and unconstitutional; and presumably, it has been issued without the requisite presidential approval,” he added.

On Thursday, the Home Ministry issued a notification saying that public order, land, police and services will be under the purview of the Lt. Governor.

The order was issued yesterday on the note of an ongoing tussle between the state government and Lt. Governor.

However, both the parties have approached the president to solve this commotion.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

President Kovind approves recommendation to disqualify 20 AAP MLAs

In a quick follow to EC's recommendation to disqualify 20 AAP MLAs, President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the disqualification

0
//
14
20 AAP MLAs stand disqualified after President Ram Nath Kovind approved EC's recommendation. Wikimedia Commons
20 AAP MLAs stand disqualified after President Ram Nath Kovind approved EC's recommendation. Wikimedia Commons
  • President Kovind approved the EC’s recommendation to disqualify 20 AAP MLAs
  • EC had recommended the disqualification on the charges of holding ‘Office of Profit’
  • Union Law and Justice Ministry has issued a notification regarding the disqualification

President Ram Nath Kovind has approved the Election Commission’s recommendation to disqualify 20 Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLAs in Delhi on charges of holding Office of Profit, an official spokesman of the Rashtrapathi Bhavan said on Sunday.

Following the approval, the Union Law and Justice Ministry issued a notification saying that the President has held that the 20 members of Delhi Legislative Assembly stand disqualified under 15 (1) (a) of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) act.

ALSO READ: EC recommends disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs

These 20 MLAs are Alka Lamba, Adarsh Shastri, Sanjeev Jha, Rajesh Gupta, Kailash Gehlot, Vijendra Garg, Praveen Kumar, Sharad Kumar, Madan Lal Khufiya, Shiv Charan Goyal, Sarita Singh, Naresh Yadav, Rajesh Rishi, Anil Kumar, Som Dutt, Avtar Singh, Sukhvir Singh Dala, Manoj Kumar, Nitin Tyagi and Jarnail Singh.

Disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs comes as a big blow for Arvind Kejriwal. Wikimedia commons
Disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs comes as a big blow for Arvind Kejriwal. Wikimedia commons

The Election Commission on Friday recommended disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs for holding office of profit as Parliamentary Secretaries.

It gave its opinion to the President on a complaint by advocate Prashant Patel, a member of the Hindu Legal Cell, in June 2015, who petitioned then President Pranab Mukherjee alleging illegality in the appointment of Parliamentary Secretaries.

ALSO READ: Can India achieve good governance without intra-party democracy?

The application by Patel said 21 AAP MLAs, including Jarnail Singh (Rajouri Garden) who resigned to contest the Punjab Assembly polls last year, were appointed Parliamentary Secretaries to Ministers in the Delhi government in violation of the Constitution. (IANS)

Next Story