Wednesday May 23, 2018
Home Uncategorized Exhibition in...

Exhibition in Britain recalling Indian soldiers’ valour

0
//
112
Republish
Reprint

London: The contribution of Indian soldiers in the First World War will be commemorated at a special exhibition in Britain next month, a media report said on Wednesday. British_and_Native_Indian_Soldiers

The residents can acknowledge at the “Legacy of Valour” exhibition the efforts of more than 1.5 million Indian soldiers, including Sikhs, who fought for Britain. The exhibition, at Reading Town Hall, will be held from August 2 till August 31, GetReading.com reported.

“India provided Britain with a massive volunteer army in its hour of need. Over 1.5 million Indian soldiers and support personnel served during 1914-18, fighting in all major theaters of war,” Inderpal Dhanjal, project leader of the exhibition, was quoted as saying.

The exhibition will display rare photographs of Indian soldiers, including Reading Town center where many Indians trained as Royal Flying Corps combat pilots.

High Commissioner of India to Britain Ranjan Mathai and Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire James Puxley are expected to be present at a special ceremony, to be held on August 1.

“We are expecting many distinguished guests at the opening of this exhibition, including local MPs, Members of House of Lords, Mayor, local councilors, representatives of faith and charity organisations, police, Home Office, and armed forces as well as prominent community members,” Dhanjal added.

Legacy of Valour is a heritage project that was launched in October 2014 as part of the First World War centenary.

It aims to get the Punjabi community living in Reading and Wokingham to learn, understand and share the contribution of Indian soldiers between 1914 and 1918.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Britain Firmly Committed to Ensuring Iran Nuclear Deal

The two leaders also condemned the Iranian rocket attacks against Israeli forces earlier this week and agreed on the need for calm on all sides

0
//
11
Theresa May
Theresa May (Wikimedia Commons)

British Prime Minister Theresa May has told US President Donald Trump that her government remains firmly committed along with her European partners to maintain the Iran nuclear deal, media reported on Saturday.

During a phone call on Friday, May said she was “firmly committed to ensuring the deal was upheld, as its the best way of preventing Iran from developing a nuclear weapon”, Xinhua News agency reported quoting Downing Street spokesperson.

May raised the potential impact of US sanctions on those firms which were currently conducting business in Iran.

The two leaders also condemned the Iranian rocket attacks against Israeli forces earlier this week and agreed on the need for calm on all sides.

Also Read: NASA Tests Mini-Nuclear Reactors for Moon and Mars

The spokesperson said May and Trump also discussed the relations between the US and North Korea, as May began the call by congratulating Trump on the safe return of three US citizens who had been held in North Korea.

“The two leaders looked forward to the summit which will take place between President Trump and Kim Jong-un in Singapore,” the spokesperson said, adding that Britain would continue to work with the US to keep up the pressure for denuclearisation of North Korea.

According to the spokesperson, May and Trump were looking forward to Trump’s visit to Britain in July. (IANS)

Next Story