Sunday April 21, 2019
Home Lead Story Facebook Work...

Facebook Working on to Merge the News Feed, Stories Feature into a Single Interface

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently said the social network would shift its emphasis away from the scrolling News Feed

0
//
Facebook, data, photos, vietnam
A smartphone user displays a Facebook newsfeed .VOA

Facebook is working on to merge the News Feed and Stories features into a single interface, like Snapchat and Instagram, on its platform.

The single interface where users can swipe posts instead of vertically scrolling was discovered by app researcher Jane Manchun Wong in the Android version of Facebook.

Facebook News Feed and Stories are currently two distinct interfaces for its over 2.2 billion monthly active users. “In this new design, Stories and News Feed posts — including text posts, pictures, videos, and sponsored posts — appear as part of the same interface,” The Verge reported on Monday.

A spokesperson from Facebook said: “We are not currently testing this publicly.”

Facebook, data, vietnam
This photo shows a Facebook app icon on a smartphone in New York. VOA

The swipeable Stories feature offers better navigation where Facebook posts appear completely visible.

The “Stories” feature has 300 million daily users on Facebook and Messenger, along with over 500 million on Instagram Stories and 450 million on WhatsApp “Status” feature.

Also Read- Apple Spending $500 mn Over ‘Arcade’ Gaming Service: Report

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently said the social network would shift its emphasis away from the scrolling News Feed. (IANS)

Next Story

Facebook Still Hosting NZ Shooting Footage: Report

Facing flak, the social media giant is now exploring restrictions on who can use its “Facebook Live” feature

0
Facebook, data,photos
A television photographer shoots the sign outside of Facebook headquarters in Menlo Park, Calif. VOA

Despite Facebook’s claim that the livestreaming video of the March 15 Christchurch shooting that killed 50 people was removed from its platforms, sections of the raw footage are still available for users to watch, the media reported.

According to a report in Motherboard on Friday, certain videos on Facebook and Instagram show sections of the raw attack footage.

“The world’s biggest and most well-resourced social media network is still hosting copies of the violent attack video on its own platform as well as Instagram,” the report claimed.

Some of the videos are slices of the original 17-minute clip — trimmed down to one minute or so — and are open to be viewed by anyone.

In one instance, instead of removing the video, which shows the terrorist shooting and murdering innocent civilians from a first-person perspective, Facebook has simply marked the clip as potentially containing “violent or graphic content”.

One of the clips shows the terrorist walking up to the first mosque he targeted, and opening fire. The video does not show the full attack, and stops at the 01:15 mark.

Facebook
Facebook App on a smartphone device. (VOA)

A Facebook spokesperson, however, said “the video did violate our policies and has been removed”.

The Facebook livestreaming of the New Zealand terror attack sparked global outrage. The video was viewed over 4,000 times before it was removed.

The video was later shared in millions on other social media platforms, including Twitter and YouTube.

Also Read- Jack Dorsey Admits Twitter Makes it Easy to Abuse Others

Facing flak, the social media giant is now exploring restrictions on who can use its “Facebook Live” feature.

Earlier this month, New Zealand’s privacy commissioner John Edwards labelled Facebook as “morally bankrupt pathological liars” after the social media platform’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg tried to play down the Facebook livestreaming of Christchurch shooting. (IANS)