By Ruchika Verma
- Indian Constitution is the ultimate rulebook for Indians
- It is one of the largest in the world and has several rules
- Throughout years, Indian constitution has been proven beneficial in the matters of disputes
Indian Constitution is the ultimate rulebook for India and its citizens. It contains the instructions which are to be followed for the proper governance of India. Indian Constitution came out on 26th January 1950 and with it brought democracy to India.
Indian Constitution was not easy to write at all. It took lots of people and a period of about 2 years to write the constitution we follow today. There has been lots of amendments and controversies about it in the past, but it still continues to be one of the most reliable sources from which conduct of a citizen should be decided.
Here are few facts about the constitutions you probably didn’t know before:
- It took 2 years, 11 months and 17 days for the constituent assembly to complete the constitution. The constituent assembly comprised of 283 members who signed the constitution on 26th January 1950.
- Dr B.R. Ambedkar, who was the first law minister of independent India, was the Chairman of the constituent committee. He is also known as the “Father of Indian Constitution.”
- No wonder constitution took more than 2 years to be completed when the first draft was put for debate and discussion, approximately 2000 amendments were made before it was finally finalised.
- Indian Constitution is the largest constitution in the world. It has 25 parts, 448 articles, 12 schedules, 5 appendices and 94 amendments.
- Indian Constitution is completely handwritten. It is neither printed nor typed, it is completely hand-written by Prem Behari Narain Raizada, who wrote it in flowing calligraphic-italic style.
- The date 26th January was not just random. It was specially selected since it marked the anniversary of “Purna Swaraj Day” (26th January 1930). On this day, Indian Congress started the fight for complete independence and hoisted the Indian national flag for the first time in public.
- The original copy of the Indian Constitution is kept in a special helium-filled case in the Library of the Parliament of India in New Delhi.
- Out of 238 members of the constituent committee, only 15 were women.
- The Indian Constitution is not entirely original. It took inspiration from the constitutions of other countries as well. For eg, the concept of Five Year Plans was taken from the USSR.
- Indian Constitution has a lot in common with the American constitution. The fundamental rights recognized by our Constitution have been adopted from the American Constitution.
- Indian constitution has 9 fundamental rights. However, before the amendment of 1978, ‘Right to Property’ was also one of them, before it was deleted.
Copyright 2018 NewsGram