July 1, 2017: With Monsoon hailing the vicinity and landscapes thriving with greenery, it is the best time of the year for garden lovers for planting and re – potting. The monsoon season usually starts from the month of July, increases the density in August and starts to lessen in September.
Monsoon is the fast paced season with July being an active month which is the time to sow, plant, re – pot, disseminate divide and to de – weed.
Harpreet Ahluwalia of Earthly Creations tells some important tips for Monsoon gardening for the greenery and gardening lovers to take care of their plants·
- Attention should be given to plants in pots and beds. Plants should be kept free from any standing water and should not stagnate and block the soil.
- Flower beds must be raised so that water flows down but let the moisture stay.
- Humid weather brings in prolific growth of weeds and thus constant de – weeding is an important practice for this season.
- Pruning right before the monsoon helps in faster growth of plants and ensures air and sunlight supply to every part of the plant
- Dead growth encourages plants to throw fresh shoots and thus must be removed
- Extra care of plants in monsoon along with weeds should be given as this is the breeding period of insects and worms. Some are good also but at times can damage the plant.
- As monsoon is good for roses and annuals like balsam, zinnia, cosmos, celosia, and palms, it is tough on chrysanthemums, mother plants and succulents and cacti.
- Clear rain water by bringing non -chlorinated water which is important for the growth of the plants
Prepared by Naina Mishra of Newsgram. Twitter: @Nainamishr94Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 NewsGram