Saturday May 26, 2018
Home World Friends just ...

Friends just on paper? US denied L-1B visa to more than 50% Indians during 2012-2014

0
//
45
Republish
Reprint

usa-239617_640

By Newsgram Staff Writer

Data released by the Virginia-based National Foundation for American Policy (NFAP), a non-profit and non-partisan public policy research organization focusing on trade, immigration and related issues has shown that 56% of Indians were denied L-1B visa by the US as opposed to the average denial rate of 13% for other countries.

L-1B, a kind of non- immigrant visa with a stay period of up to 5 years, can be used by US employers to transfer employees with specific skills and knowledge from their offices abroad to those in the US. Indian companies with US subsidiaries can also make use of this visa. The biggest users of L-1B visas are Indian IT companies like TCS, Infosys and Wipro.

NFAP’s data shows that the rejection rate for Chinese and Mexican nationals is less than half, 22% and 21% respectively, of that of Indians.

Of the 25,296 Indians who applied for the visa between 2012 and 2014, 14,104 got rejected.

Visa rejection rates which shot up after the 2007-08 global financial crisis have yet not come down though the unemployment rate in the US is dropping sharply.

In early 2012, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officials had proposed new guidelines to review and update the definition for L-1B petitions. “The new proposed guidance never materialized and, based on reports from employers and attorneys, inconsistent decision-making, as well as high levels of denials and requests for evidence have continued,” the NFAP report said.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 NewsGram

Next Story

Online Debate Over US-China Trade Negotiations Erased by Chinese Censors

It was not clear exactly why the comments were censored. Chinese officials on Monday were keen to show that Beijing had stood firm in the talks.

0
//
26
Chinese censors have erased online debate over US-China trade negotiations as the two countries appeared to back away from a trade war.
A selection of the censored comments were published by the Chinese Media Project. In one, a Weibo user, referring to US President Donald Trump, said: "The madman won."

Chinese censors have erased online debate over US-China trade negotiations as the two countries appeared to back away from a trade war.

After the announcement on Sunday by US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin that planned tariffs on $150 billion worth of Chinese goods would be put “on hold”, posts on the microblogging site Weibo discussing the deal were immedietly deleted, according to a research initiative studying Chinese media.

A selection of the censored comments were published by the Chinese Media Project. In one, a Weibo user, referring to US President Donald Trump, said: “The madman won.”

Another deleted post said China’s bid to get US sanctions lifted on the telecommunications equipment maker ZTE had been unsuccessful, according to a report in the Guardian.

“The other points of compromise — or kneeling, to put it more sharply — are small matters,” the user wrote, according to the project.

Chinese censors have erased online debate over US-China trade negotiations as the two countries appeared to back away from a trade war.
Chinese President Xi Jinping, wikimedia commons

On Saturday, Beijing and Washington released a statement saying they had come to a consensus of “effective measures” to narrow the US’ huge trade deficit with China.

It was not clear exactly why the comments were censored. Chinese officials on Monday were keen to show that Beijing had stood firm in the talks.

First Female CIA Director: Gina Haspel is Confirmed as the First Female Director of CIA

A researcher for China’s Commerce Ministry said that the country had demonstrated three “bottom lines”, which were: It would not cut exports to the US in order to reduce the trade deficit, no target was set for reducing the deficit — Trump had previously pushed for a $200 billion reduction — and China upheld its right to upgrade its industry.

The White House’s threatened tariffs had targeted Beijing’s “Made in China” industrial programme.

“Despite all the pressure, China didn’t ‘fold’, as Trump observed”, the state-run China Daily said in an editorial. “Instead, it stood firm and continually expressed its willingness to talk”. (IANS)

Next Story